Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Meeting Kevin Jon and his manager Kevin Savage turned out to be quite the entertaining evening. I was lucky that both were incredibly charming guys who had one thing in common: an unfailing belief in the musical talent that Kevin Jon has. And rather refreshingly, not in a conceited way, but in the same way one might be proud of a new born baby, or a good report at school. I have to confess, I was rather taken with Kevin Jon’s music myself when I came across his myspace page earlier this year. His debut single “When Fear Gets In The Way” is a great combination of inspirational lyrics, a keen understanding of how a great pop song fits together and a funky driven track that works well in a variety of mixes. An album is forthcoming, which I can’t wait to hear, but in the meantime, here is my most conversational interview yet…

Thezapping: So lets start with Fear Gets In The Way – it seems a really personal song. Can we talk about that for a bit?

KJ: Basically, I was working at a restaurant and it’s actually incredibly hard work, very long shifts, being polite to customers and on your feet all the time. It really takes it’s toll on you and after a while I started having panic attacks. I reached a really bad point in my life and then started to work my way back from that. I really wanted to write something that was positive – about getting back to where you want to be. Honestly, I feel stronger from having reached rock bottom and coming back from that. It’s a really personal track

TZ: It seems really relevant to Britney now – look at how off the rails she has gone. Maybe you need to get to that point sometimes before you can recover yourself…

KJ: Exactly, and I want to be able to play it ten years later and remember where I was at that time and remember how I got through it. It’s going to get a soft digital release in April. There are 5 mixes of it at the moment and all put the song in different settings – one is a very electro dance mix and another takes it down to an acoustic level. It’s the myspace version that will get the digital release and then the producer working on the album has remixed it for the actual release.

TZ: Not that you can tell today, but I do follow fashion and wondered how important image is in your music?

KJ: Well I used to work at topman – which I think is great. It fits me, it suits me – you can buy something simple from there like a t-shirt and accessorise it with something personal and individual to yourself. Though then there is the danger of everyone in the club having the same top on as you (laughs)…

TZ: haha, that’s happened to me before… maybe you should get topman to sponsor your tour?

KJ: Definitely! I know what I like, I will bypass all the designer stuff and go straight to topman!!

TZ: If money was no object, what would an ultimate tour look like from Kevin Jon??

KJ: hmmm, if there were dancers I would let them dance and do their thing to the tracks that needed it, but really I want to concentrate on the music. I’d like to do really intimate shows – that touch the audience with the music. Just me and the band. I went to the X-Factor live concerts last week and they were a real eye opener. Ben was amazing live, really great voice, as was Miquita.

TZ: Talking of X Factor, were you ever tempted to go down that route?

KJ: haha no not at all. There are too many reality tv shows. It seems to focus on the publicity for the show rather than the finished product. Maybe if I could control my own career, but hmmmm, no definitely not.

TZ: I know what you mean – ultimately, it’s about the ratings and getting that number one single, then disappearing. Shayne Ward was woefully mismanaged – he could have been a great pop act. Only Will Young seems to have broken out of that…

KJ: Yes, and Kelly Clarkson. She has done some really great stuff.

TZ: Ever tempted by the boyband route?

KJ: Umm, I think I could have been tempted by the boyband route, definitely. People think I am from a boyband anyway when they see me or hear my song, so I definitely could have gone that way, yes!

TZ: You mention some of your influences on your myspace site – let’s just go through a few of them. Pussycat Dolls?

KJ: Oh, I think they are really infectious. Although I have maybe over played their album now! I haven’t listened to it in a while. I think they have the right people behind them.

TZ: Have you heard Will Young do Don’t Cha?

KJ: Ummm, no, I’m not really a big fan of his.

TZ: Ok, onto Michael Jackson – it’s interesting because I think his influential time still stands but is between 1980 and 1991. He didn’t seem to evolve like Madonna or kylie after that…

KJ: Definitely. He has some great songs, amazing songs. All these household names are great at continuing to develop good music. I’m quite stubborn, but I think if my career depended on it, I would be a bit of chameleon! Ultimately, I’d like to write songs…I’m constantly writing…

TZ: And that’s where the money can be – Cathy Dennis must be loaded!

KJ: haha, yes. And it’s great because you can write stuff that may not be in your preferred style but would really suit other people.

TZ: Ok, now onto my absolute favourite singer, who is listed also on your myspace – Deborah Gibson…

KJ: People think I’m far too young to remember Debbie (I’m 23), but I really love Body Mind Soul album which has some great pop songs on. Everytime I listen to it, it takes me back to the time it came out and what I was doing then. I don’t care what people think of her – I’ve followed her career and she has done really well writing for others and a broadway career. I have her latest album Coloured Lights and will happily pay £20 for her next album when that comes out.

TZ: There are so many great songs on BMS – yet it didn’t do that well.

KJ: Losing Myself is a great song, it just keeps building into this crescendo.

TZ: I love Live Lounge on radio one – if you had to do an acoustic version of one of your own songs and a cover of someone elses, what would you do?

KJ: I’ve done a beautiful acoustic guitar mix of When Fear Gets In The Way. And I think I’d do Stuck In The Middle With You. It’s a great song and I also love Louise. Also I’ve done Ain’t Nobody (Chaka Khan) for the album!

TZ: What if someone were to do a cover of one of your songs?

KJ: Miquita from X Factor. I followed her all the way through and she is just amazing live – such a powerful voice. I would love her to do one of my tracks.

TZ: What do you do in your downtime?

KJ: it’s funny because up until music became a career, it was a hobby so it’s taken me 6 months to get into the swing of it actually being my job. But I still write a lot – constantly. I was up til 2am last night writing songs! I guess I need to be a bit more sociable – I’ve given up smoking and have been a bit moody with that so avoided going out.

TZ: Did you use patches?

KJ: nope, I listened to a lot of Paul McKenna – he really gets you to take control of your positive thinking. Because of that, spiritually, I’m open to a lot more things. Oh! And I’m addicted to myspace!! Chatting to people on it and checking messages J

TZ: Finally, where do you want to be in one year?

KJ: I would just like to be happy, still doing what I’m doing because I love it.

TZ: What a great answer. Most people say “oh a number one” or “huge career”. I really like that answer.

KJ: well longevity is more important. I’d rather have a ten year career than a number one and then fading into nothing. There are lots of pressures in life, but I’m having a real laugh putting together this record – sometimes there are bad days but there are also lots of good days. I think its important to have goals and aspirations, but don’t beat yourself up if you don’t achieve them and don’t let them get the better of you.

And with those wise words, the interview is sadly over as a recording session is booked to record the second single. It’s clear the two Kevins have a great manager-client relationship and work well together and I think that is important in this industry. Rest assured, I will be following Kevin’s career closely and routing for it to take off in a big way…

REVISITING WHEN FEAR GETS IN THE WAY:

Let me tell you, i am all over KJ like a rash this very day. Not only is he rocking the black shirt/white tie look on the background of his myspace, but he has quite good popstar hair too. And! He is from Worcester which is only down the road from me (and where Bernice works!) and cites Deborah Gibson as an influence. Which of course gets you major kudos and respect in the world of thezapping. In fact more people should cite her as an influence. So it’s a good thing the music is also enjoyable – with the highlight being the stomping first single When Fear Gets In The Way. Not only is it pretty inspirational but it mixes a variety of funk, r’n’b and 80s pop influences into the mix without sounding over produced or generic. The piano chords driving the verses of the track remind me a little of Britney back when she was good and add a great edge to the tune. Kevin has a great voice and a clear love of the people he is influenced by. His sound would go down equally well here and in the States and with some good dance remixes, club domination can’t be far off. His debut album Body Mind and Soul is scheduled for Dec 2007, with the debut single out anytime about now. Hurrah!

LINK: KevinJon myspace page

LINK: KevinJon official page

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

FREE HOT BODYPAINTING | HOT GIRL GALERRY