Thursday, July 24, 2008

Blimey. It's been a while since of done one of these. Or it seems like it. So lets kick off with some super singles that are more than worthy of your attention. If you can be bothered. Which lets face it, some days you just don't feel like it do you? And it is particularly hot today, and I arrived at work all sticky (and not in the good sweaty under the covers way) I'm not really in the mood to do work, so blogging will suffice! Plus I had a rather lovely email from a singer today thanking me for writing about him/her and not expecting anything in return. Apparently he/she often gets "ooo i wrote about you, now can i post free music/interview you" emails so was touched not to be demanded of for a change. How nice of him/her. Anyway on with the "show"...


BRYN CHRISTOPHER - THE QUEST: Bryn is very lovely indeed, and it's thanks to Mr Worrapolava that I know his lovely funk filled deep soul tunes. In fact when I was doing some mathmatical equations based on Bryn and my first listening of his amazing tune, I calculated the following "facts"

  1. Mr Phil of Worrapolavaland is 88.1% brilliant for introducing me to The Quest and Smile.
  2. The Quest is 81% most likely to get replayed straight away after i've listened to it.
  3. Taking into account his rather lovely waistcoat above, Bryn is 82.27% gorgeous, which is just a cats whisker away from him being in my ten most beautiful men in the world list at the moment.
Fascinating. What really matters though is this utterly addictive ditty that owes more to Ms Dynamite and Daniel Merriweather than Amy Winehouse and um, Duffy et al. It's a lot more gritty and heartfelt than Duffy and it's Bryn's vocal that sets him aside. Powerful and engaging, the tracks slugs along over a hammond organ which becomes more mesmerising as the track progresses. The lyrics touch on his brother's experiences in Basra and make it an entirely more personal and touching listening ordeal. True, it is a little Mark Ronson, but you can almost hear the sweat pour from Bryn's brow as he throws everything he has into the song. Quite literally a tasty treat from what is hopefully a rather brilliant album to follow. Plus he is from Birmingham. And so am I. Which ultimately means nothing :P Let's hope he doesn't follow the Amy route and go all "coke stroke" on the world!!!
Listen to more Bryn at his myspace site...


SHARLEEN SPITERI - ALL THOSE TIMES I CRIED: I never really got into Texas as much as I should have. Not the state - I went there once and stayed in Tyler and did the Auzelia trail and the mormon family I visited made me sleep on the trampoline outside incase I gayed up their children (please. one of them was well gay before I got there, and certainly a little more after I left :P) No, I'm talking about the band who made a career out of brilliant pop tunes, but whose albums I never purchased. They were really a comfort blanket - I always knew they were there, but didn't always need them. I am adoring solo Sharleen though. Ignore the suggestions that this lovely mellow track is too close for comfort to the Shangri-Las "Out In The Streets" (because everyone knows the brillo girl band of the 60s was the Chiffons) and just luxuriate in the sweet soul stylings as this tragic track bounces around like sun beams glistening on a pure blue river. Just like you do when Duffy/Amy/Gabriele Clitofme does. Lead Sharleen, don't follow. But if you follow at least it's as lovely as this. Be sure to hear the seminal XO's views on the track here...


LITTLE JACKIE - THE WORLD SHOULD REVOLVE AROUND ME: Little Jackie (the artist formerly known as Imani Coppola) has come up with the perfect, slightly spunky, slightly cool summer jam that i've been waiting for. I'd read about it on one of my blogrolls then couldn't remember where, sent it to DanUK who then reminded me that his site was where I had read about it! Cool beans! I think the song works for me, because actually I'm having difficulty categorising it and am just enjoying those rather saucy and clever lyrics set to a sexy little street beat. I just heard the album too and very marvelous it is. Here are some of my fave couplets from the song and go check out her sound at her very catchy myspace:

  1. "This kind of mountain shouldn't cause a depression/so i bide my time with philosophical questions/Not for nothing but what came first/The chicken mcnugget or the egg mcmuffin"
  2. "I got talent and I got tits/I know i'll find another guy who wants to get with it/I'm not convinced that i'm a big fat whore/One man's pleasure is another man's chore"
  3. "And if you turn with my biological clock/Since I never grow old my heart is always in stock/Keep screwing that bitch from down the block/I don't need you around I know I rock"

Other boy songs that boogie:

  • jack mcmanus ~ you think i don't care (but i do): Pleasing me nicely at the moment. Jaunty pop rock that comes with big hair as an added bonus.
  • blue eyes soul ~ I Won't Deny You: new (to me; old to their fans from 2007) Swedish pop-rock group that sound a bit like a cross between One Republic and The Script. This is a smashing little ditty :) (see pic above) And as James Leon said, they are like an indie'd up backstreet boys :) Talking of which...
  • backstreet boys ~ one in a million: There is a thread on popjustice campaigning for Treat Me Right as the next BSB single, which isn't a bad choice per se. It's no slightly reggae tinged one in a million, which is a corker. As songs called One In A Million tend to be (thanks Bosson!)

Lady bumps and pop group smashingness:

  • Antigone - More Man Than Man: While i don't quite think she is worthy of the hype, this tune is a decent summer song. No better in my eyes (and ears) than Sophie's Heartbreak... or Kylie's The One, but what company to be in! Let's hope she has more than one of the catsuit she NEVER seems to be out of :P
  • Active8 - Take My Breath Away: Oh anything that reminds me of my top gun obsession is ok by me. This is one of those songs that takes an 80s rocky ballad classic (like Heaven) turns it into a dancefloor "phenomenon" (ie drunk hen parties love it) and then toned down into a candlelight piano ballad, such as this version. Quite nice in a plinky plonky sort of way...
  • AList - Intimacy: Talking of candlelight ballads, the lovely AList (click here for more on them and see pic above) have put out this beautiful pop song that takes me back to when SClub could put out a sterling ballad (Have You Ever; Never Had A Dream Come true) in a way that Steps always failed at (the mawkish When I Said Goodbye). Difference was that Steps always tried to be credible with their ballads, whereas SClub just embraced the popness of it all. AList are going the pop route with their ballads and all the better for it they are too!

Albums that I must review soon that are v good or at least above average: Miley Cyrus-Breakaway; Little Jackie-Stoop; Blue Eyes Soul -; Sharleen Spiteri - Melody; El Perro Del Mar-From The Valley; Yelle-Pop Up

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

FREE HOT BODYPAINTING | HOT GIRL GALERRY