Tuesday, October 27, 2009

US network television has always baffled me to a certain extent - by and large their programming runs from September to May and they only show 22 weeks worth of shows during this time (often leaving long gaps between new episodes). If shows aren't performing well, they are unceremoniously yanked, leaving fans wondering if they will ever return (9 times out of 10 they won't). This means that many shows over the years have been left with unresolved storylines - where did that baby come from on Lois and Clark? Did Brooke survive getting mowed down by Nicole on the wonderful Popular? Did the malevolent Bob go wild once he possessed Agent Cooper in Twin Peaks?!

All of this means I'm always a bit wary of watching new tv shows until they are at least picked up for a season, but each year I'm drawn into a few shows just to see what they are like. I've become quite enamoured with 5 new shows this year so here they are and why they are wonderful :)

5 ~ Community (NBC): I had no interest in this Joel McHale fronted show (his Talk Soup show irritates me no end) until I watched the laugh out loud pilot episode. It manages to mix together snarky humour with a quite charming view of friendship as the cliched bunch of misfits manages to be both amusing and endearing. Key dialogue: “Oh, sorry, I was raised on TV, and I was conditioned to believe that every black woman over 50 is a cosmic mentor.”

4 ~ Eastwick (ABC): Despite the fact that it's Charmed for a major network, this adaptation of The Witches of Eastwick won me over for a couple of reasons. Firstly, it's setting - often a quirky village can make a show - look at the insular townfolk of Everwood or the mysterious trappings of Twin Peaks. Eastwick is a slightly less whimsical version of the always marvelous Stars Hollow (Gilmore Girls) with a supernatural twist. Secondly, the characters of Joanna (one of the non-titular witches) and her pal Penny are ace - full of pithy pop culture references ranging from Like A Virgin to Nancy Drew. Plus who wouldn't have a crush on Will the photographer?! Key dialogue: "Oh, and by the way, you also have terrible bacne, a mild case of halitosis, and miniscule man-berries."

3 ~ Modern Family (ABC): I'm often incredibly wary of the "family sitcom". On the one hand it could really be as amazing as Blossom. On the other you may end up with a festering turd on a scale of Two and a Half Men. It's a bit hit and miss isn't it? Modern Family however has totally managed to make the family sitcom entertaining and funny again. Whether it be the cool "lets be buds" dad figure, the grandad with his new younger bride (and her hilarious son) or the jewel in the show Mitchell and his partner Cameron, there is something everyone can relate to here - all done in a complex, intruiging, smart yet ultimately heartwarming way. As Nick Alien Hits pointed out, it can turn from sweet to cringing in mere seconds and still be everso engaging. Long may they reign. Key dialogue: "There's a fish in nature that swims around with its babies in its mouth. That fish would look at Mitchell's relationship with his mother and say, 'That's messed up.'"

2~ Flash Forward (ABC): You know, I wasn't really looking for another sprawling arc-ridden sci-fi esque drama in my life (I'm still committed to Heroes, Supernatural and Lost) but the rather good "What Did You See?" campaign drew me in and the rather yum Joseph Fiennes convinced me to stay. Of course it is all utter bonkersosity at the moment and nothing will make sense for a while but it's all quite compelling and seems to have been well thought out. Love that the FBI thought a website would be a good way of compiling all the flashforwards - can you imagine the meltdown twitter and blogosphere would have gone into if this had actually happened? Key dialogue: "Six months from now I see myself and I'm like this invincible, fearless black guy... like Shaft or Bryant Gumbel."

1 ~ Glee (Fox): What is there to say about Glee that hasn't already been said (the EW cover above sums it up perfectly)? Remember how obsessed I was with Pushing Daisies? Since that died (I'm still mourning, let's no dwell, the pain is still raw) the hole in my heart has mercifully been filled by this show which has become a pop culture phenomenon - almost the (choke) Lady Gaga of tv. It's everywhere - 2 soundtracks before Christmas, a Wicked themed episode next week (hurrah! My fave musical meets my new fave show), a Christmas single (a cover of Last Christmas by Wham!!) and the dvd box set of the first 13 episodes just in time for my trip to Las Vegas. None of which tells you how amazing the show is - but you are either already in love with it or need to try it shortly (get back to me when you do). Key dialogue:

  • "I, for one, think intimacy has no place in a marriage. Walked in on my parents once and it was like seeing two walruses wrestling." (Sue)
  • "It was a message from God: Rachel was a hot Jew and the good lord wanted me to get into her pants." (the delicious Puck)
  • "Every time I try to destroy that club, it comes back strong than some sexually ambiguous horror movie villain" (Sue)
  • "Being a boy band did wonders for my love life... we started doing it once a week." (Will)
  • "Oh, HELL to the no! Look, I'm not down with this background singin' nonsense. I'm Beyoncé, I ain't no Kelly Rowland." (Mercedes)
Best of the rest:

  • Honourable mention: Cougar Town, Cleveland Show
  • Looking forward to: V
  • Returning champions: Greek, Gossip Girl, Brothers and Sisters, Dollhouse
  • Much improved: Heroes, Grey's Anatomy
  • Not as good as last year: Desperate Housewives, Family Guy
  • Tried and trusted stalwarts: Supernatural, Smallville, Nip Tuck, Dexter, The Simpsons
  • Stockpiling for a rainy day: Private Practice, Ugly Betty, Vampire Diaries
  • Wished I watched but never did: Fringe, How I Met Your Mother, 30 Rock
  • Need new seasons now!: Lost, True Blood, Big Love, The Tudors

And ace UK TV returning soon! Oh! What's occuring? Gavin & Stacey is back this Sunday! The wonderful Beautiful People is back (with an ace new soundtrack no doubt) on Nov 13th and Dr Who will return shortly and most definitely on Christmas Day.

What are you watching??

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

FREE HOT BODYPAINTING | HOT GIRL GALERRY