Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Oh. It's pissing down with rain outside and I didn't bring a coat to work. Luckily I have my electric youth golf umbrella so I will be ok. My arm has stopped oozing green finally though is still very tender to the touch. I thought you might all be losing sleep over how that was progressing. Anyway, before I get on with the brilliance of McFly and Soph, I have to give "props" (note to self ~ never ever say props again) to the Britain's Got Talent winner. So much better than the So Macho dance routine I did for my sisters when I was his age...

MCFLY ~ ONE FOR THE RADIO:

Ah my beloved McFly. So often "dissed" (note to self - stop saying dissed) by music bloggers, yet beloved by others. Moving on after their greatest hits and split with their record label, the moresome foursome have come up with a big "fuck you" to all the naysayers. Sadly on the radio, they introduced it as "one for the fans" which always makes me cringe (Steps would always say in concert - "we came out on this tour for you guys the fans" fuck off did you. I love steps but they were there because there is more money in touring than record sales!) Luckily the tune is punchy piece of power pop, complete with slightly crackling recording values (radio rip or production intention?) that give a slightly 60s sound. The lyrics are a cheeky way of saying boo you whores to all those people who probably really do enjoy a good McFly song, but are too ashamed to admit it because really they think they should be listening to the Ting Tings or whoever the flavour of the day is. It harks back to the lyrical days of their first album, though still showcases that they can definitely put a decent tune together - and lets face it: A great McFly song (such as this is as opposed to brilliant McFly a la Transylvania or Ballad of Paul K) is still head and shoulders above most other boyband songs (NKOTB take note!) and actually a very fine lead off single for their new album. Welcome back boys...

SOPHIE ELLIS BEXTOR ~ HEARTBREAK MAKES ME A DANCER:

Oh. My. Days. Is anyone else scared that Sophie Ellis Bextor will turn into one of those artists that people rave about but fail to translate said raves into commercial success? (Roisin Murphy my eyebrows are raised in your direction!) Now that sexy hubby Richard can commiserate at the law of diminishing returns (The Feeling's Join With Us isn't a mammoth seller and Without You missed the top 40 - boo you whores), perhaps Sophie feels zen enough to just continue at what she does best. Whip out brilliant pop-dance tunes that seem incredibly effortless and instantly catchy. This new track, popped on her myspace a couple of days ago, practically has me creating a love milkshake in my undies. It's not that it's particularly innovative or new, but it's just so darn good from start to finish that I can't imagine this not being a huge top 3 smash (though of course I thought that with Rachel Stevens "I Said Never Again" ode to botty burgling and look where that got me!). And of course Sophie returns to using music as a metaphor for her relationship tales, which always works out to brilliant effect ~ the foot stomping, hand clapping, video bitchiness of the magnificent Murder on the Dancefloor; the laid back summer groove of Music Gets The Best of Me. Good times, people. Swirling beats, electro beeps, Sophie cheeps ~ it's all I could want in an early summer smash, and by golly miss molly (not to sound too Mayor of Sunnydale, Season 3 Buffy) it's awfully good stuff. Welcome back missus...

Other songs I'm very fond of at the moment:


  • Making April ~ These are the Nights: I'm almost ashamed to admit it, but i do like a nice piano led rock ballad. And some of the band are remotely doable from a distance.
  • Enrique ~ Can You Hear Me: Yuri and PPG are oh so right. This is a mega smash of epic proportions - all Darin style background music and soulful Enrique power pop vocals. Marv.
  • Miley Cyrus ~ 7 Things: I think I wrote about this before but it's Avril/Hilary rock-pop goodness and now she's all covered up, Hannah M can get back to what she is best at. Milking money out of tweens. And me.
  • Rongedal ~ Who Do You Think You're Fooling?: They may look like Right Said Fred and sound like Mika but i don't care. Their new single is europop goodness and infernally catchy.
  • Ola ~ Feelgood: And I do everytime I listen to this rather delicious summery pop number from his forthcoming re-released album
  • Chris Brown ~ Forever/No Air (acoustic): I totally blame D'Luv and PPG for switching me on to these lovely nuggets. There ain't half some crap on his albums though!
Album reviews coming very soon for the last three artists on that list! And tomorrow! Double flashback for two acts from the late 80s!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

FREE HOT BODYPAINTING | HOT GIRL GALERRY