Monday, June 30, 2008

Blimey and other such expactorations. It's July soon. Which means that half the year has gone already and before I know it, it will be two thousand and bloody nine. I'm not sure I approve of this time whizzing by thing, but you can't argue with Father Time. Or his missus, Mother Nature. Who gave me the most wicked hayfever ever today - i took my usual antihistimine and then had a shower, came out and took another one, because basically I forgot I had taken the first one! Oh my - I ended up entirely floopy. First of all I was "buzzing off my tits" as the kids might say, giggling like a schoolgirl, then passed out for a good five hours which means I won't sleep at all tonight. Which means that I am now wide awake and have some time to kill, so you have the dubious pleasure of me reflecting on the best of the year so far....

Convincing Ruthiepoos and DazPecs that a) my face is not that shiny and b) 4 Minutes is the best pop song of the year so far...

  • 12 - Jordin Sparks w/ Chris Brown - No Air: How appropriate that the first song on this list is a collaboration, because many of the best songs of 2008 so far have been rather brilliant duets and hook-ups. This gorgeous little ditty has shot up the UK charts today and is a highlight of the American Idol winner's patchy debut album...
  • 11 - Duffy - Mercy: Britain apparently needed a number of Amy Housewine type singers who had that 60s sound but without the love of booger sugar. While Adele and Gabrielle Cilmi had their moments, Mercy was the definitive song that defined why and how this sound can work so well. And six months on, it is still fresh and exciting :)
  • 10 - Alphabeat - Fascination: This song is probably a good couple of years old now and really could have been any song on their ace debut album. Try as people might to pigeon hole their sound (B52s meets S Club by way of Annie and Human League), they blew into the british charts like a breath of fresh air and linger like a summer breeze...
  • 09 - Maroon 5 w/Rihanna - Never See Your Face Again: Another collaboration. I wasn't sure it was necessary at first, but Rihanna's vocals and the tidy remix really reinvigorate this punchy album track and make it a worthy summer single. Plus any more videos with Adam in is ok by me...
  • 08 - Rongedal - Just A Minute: Oh who cares if this sounds too Mika/Scissor Sisters? It filled the gap in waiting for those respective acts new albums perfectly and was a gloriously fun tune with an insanely catchy chorus. It did matter a little bit that they looked like Right Said Fred though :P
  • 07 - Jesse McCartney - Leaving: 2008's answer to If That's Ok With You came from little DreamStreet-er/Summerland dude Jesse who suddenly got a lot of media attention for being the bloke who wrote Bleeding Love with the fit one from One Republic. A lilting little reggae-lite tune, this one is the type of tune that creeps up on you unawares and then smacks you round the head with it's stick of brilliance.
  • 06 - The Feeling - Without You: While Britain seems to be suffering from feeling fatigue, I have found much to love within the confines of their second album. While I was disappointed that the epic title track was not the second single (it now seems like it will be fourth in another bit of weird scheduling - why wait when it is currently getting exposure in a major advertising campaign for Toyota??), this lovely languid ballad eventually got my thumbs up and i soon fell in love with it. Dan sounds gorgeous and the band cohesively work together to present their most beautifully melancholy track together yet...
  • 05 - Blake Lewis - Got To Get Her: Oh sure it was an album track from 2007, but this should have definitely been a single. Not in America, but i still feel this could have been Ma-ASS-ive all over europe. Throw in a quirky Blake video that looks like it had a bit of cash spent on it (or not - it worked with OK:GO, but it has to work!) and some dance moves, get Blake to work his sartorial charm on the British press and you have a top 5 hit in the making. You read it here first. Or at least third or fourth...
  • 04 - David Jordan - Sun Goes Down: Oh what a surprise this was. After the reggae-lite Place In My Heart late last year, this stomping adorable pop tune was punchy and powerful enough to hit the UK top ten and earn it's place in my heart. Plus David proved that wearing a little mascara never hurt anyone - a rule that the big brother metros have taken too much to heart this year...
  • 03 - Miley Cyrus - See You Again: Thank god for stu stoobydoo introducing me to this epic pop tune. Tween pop wins through again (last year it was the edible Potential Break Up Song) and dancey beats and a kicking chorus showed that with the disney channel behind you, good pop almost seeps through by accident. And this was and still is great. Who the fuck is Leslie though?
  • 02 - Kylie - Wow: Ignore the arguments about what should have been the first single from the album and just embrace Wow for what it is - an amazing Kylie pop song that is as much novelty value as it is dance fantasticness. It hung around the charts for a freaking age before rocketing top five and showing the world that no matter what her costume choices, sometimes she really gets the song spot on.
  • 01 - Madonna w/Timberlake & Timbaland - 4 Minutes: Oh it's not really Madonna is it. Oh she has lost it. Oh Justin wears too many clothes in the video. None of these sentiments come from me. I actually just bloody love the tune and still do 3 months on. Horns, dancing on a supermarket checkout conveyor belt and a catchy chorus. What is not to like? Seriously? Will it be my top track of 2008 - i'm not sure. New songs from Will Young and Same Difference may outshine it. Who knows what Simon Curtis will come up with next? And that Lily Allen song is driving me nuts. But now, end of June, I still bloody love this track.

Honourable mentions: jason mraz - i'm yours; the feeling - i thought it was over; chris brown - forever; sergey - flyer; BWO - lay your love on me; VanShe - Strangers; Enrique - Can You Hear Me

ALBUMS:

Mulling over the best albums of the year so far with a glass of medium priced red wine. Looking well phwoarrr even if I do tongue in cheek say so myself...

(Yes, some of these albums were released late 2007, but it's my list and they performed well for me in 2008! Links are to my original reviews. And yes this list feels naked without Simon Curtis!)

Coming this week if i get my arse in gear ~ a boyband pop potential extravaganza; finally some album reviews (Rongedal; Martin; Robert O'Connor et al); the fizzypopfaves; the next in the top 21 fizzypop hall of fame...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

FREE HOT BODYPAINTING | HOT GIRL GALERRY