Thursday, May 17, 2007

It’s hard to describe how much I love Maroon 5. I guess the easiest way to do it is by comparison. So… you know how excited I’ve been for nigh on a year now for Simon Curtis’ music? That’s what I was like in December 2003 when I first purchased Songs About Jane. The album had been out for over a year at this point, but I had been seduced by The Sweetest Goodbye, which was used in what was soon to become my favourite all time movie, Love, Actually. What delighted me about Songs About Jane was the variety of musical styles within – there were languid love songs like She Must Be Loved and The Sweetest Goodbye; hard rocking jams like Harder To Breathe and soulful tunes marinated in funk like the ever excellent This Love. I think I’ve seen them in concert 4 times now and each time has been a truly amazing experience. The songs from SAJ seemed to really resonate with me, I loved their embracing of differing musical genres and Adam Levine (or Adam LeFine as I call him) not only has one of the most gorgeous voices I have ever heard, but is a stone cold fox too. I can still put SAJ on over 3 years later and still find new joys and inferences within the songs, the lyrics and the music. I always smile and get slightly aroused by the incredibly filthy lyrics (“clutching your pillow and writhing in your naked sweat/hoping someday somebody will do you like I did”), revel in the energy shown on their 2 live albums and wallow in the sorrow of that song that introduced me to them – The Sweetest Goodbye. It’s been an impatient wait for the second album, but it’s finally here and I can’t wait to share some initial thoughts with you…

I was lucky enough about a month ago, thanks to my supersexual flirting and general whoring of my body to the fine folks at Instinct Magazine, to have a 42 minute (and 7 seconds) phone conversation with Adam Levine. You can read that exclusive interview in the latest issue of said amazing magazine (in all good usa stores right this second) and catch some of the excerpts that weren't published below. I'm in bold, Adam is just fine in regular font :P

~ You have spent most of the past five years travelling round the world in the company of four other guys, which probably sounds like heaven to our readers... did you get up to any hi-jinx along the way to liven up the journey??

We were pretty tame actually, normally we would just play music or sleep on the way to the next destination and just get some energy back. Of course we had practical jokes here and there, but nothing too elaborate or cruel...

(did anyone have bad hygiene, morning breath, etc?)

(Laughs) I think we were all probably the same as each other –and when you are sharing space with people every day for that long, you either become immune to it or everyone just has good habits. That was a really diplomatic answer wasn’t it?

(You played big crowds before – actually I saw you at V Festival a couple of years back and you looked exhausted!!) *asked after question on live shows!

(laughs) Ha, I remember that show, that was a great venue to play and the crowd were really receptive. But, yeah, after 3 ½ years straight performing the same songs over and over again, you get so depleted and start to lose energy. There are things that you want to do, creatively back in the studio and even sleeping in the same bed each night. I do realise, however, that there are worse things than being tired and I feel incredibly lucky to be doing what I do. Actually we are unofficially on tour from now doing some club shows, but our official tour will start in September. I am very excited to get out there and open up people’s perceptions of what we are about. I think folks will be surprised.

~ The album seems to have a great number of eclectic influences and styles running through it and is a little darker in it's tone - particularly Wake Up Call which addresses cheating and murder and the lovely ballad Better We Break. Was it hard to chose songs for the final tracklisting - are there any that didn't make it that you are sad to see the back of?

It was a very long process and it took a while to digest what was working and what wasn’t, but I am very happy with all the songs on there. We definitely went with the strength of the songs and we wanted to have songs on there that were well constructed. Some that didn’t make it had a beat that was too similar or didn’t quite work, and I do believe it’s about strong lyrics and melodies.

(Do you have a favourite? And you can’t say all of them!)

If I had to pick just one, I would go for Better We Break. I think it’s a really really strong song.

(Do you think it will be a single?)

I don’t know about that. I don’t choose the singles, the powers that be decide that for us. As a singer and writer, it is my job to do my best and leave it up to the record company to decide. You just have to ensure that all songs are strong enough to be singles so that you will be happy with any choice.

(That’s interesting, because I was sad that The Sweetest Goodbye wasn’t a single from the first album)

Yeah, that was in Love, Actually and that’s a favourite of mine too.

Any chance of you dumping your supermodel girlfriend and flying over to England to talk fashion??) *asked after talking fashion and flirting!!

(laughs quite a lot)

Obviously, it's a little disjointed when taken out of context from the entire interview, so go buy the magazine and check out instinct's website for the full glorious experience :P Thanks to the Instinct dude for making it happen - it was a very thrilling 42 minutes :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

FREE HOT BODYPAINTING | HOT GIRL GALERRY