Friday, September 17, 2010

What a week it has been. I'm absolutely shattered this early Friday evening to be honest with you. And this is going to be one of those mega giant ridiculously long posts that i'm so good at because there is so much going on this week that I'm behind with! Highlight of the week was definitely my latest slot on the Larry Flick show. I think the exhaustion of the week had caught up to me, so I took an hour's lunch and got a bit saucy on air. Check the comments if you want to hear it :P Right - most of the pop I've been interested in this week has been bought to us by the letter J! Let's see how this works out...

The week that was...

  • J is for Jessie J (Price Tag): Oh didn't the world and his wife just fall for the extremely talented ways of young Jessie this week? The Doctor Luke (he always comes up with the perfect pop prescription) produced Price Tag just screams massive world wide hit. Jessie delivers a pop song that is essentially a social commentary with such gusto and brilliance that she puts to shame some of her longer established pop peers. It's a laid back groove, extolling the virtues of getting back to basics but without ever sounding preachy - rather it invites you in to it's simple but outstanding chorus and you just want to stay for days...Altogether now "we just wanna make the world dance/forget about the price tags"! Inredibly talented new act to watch (PS her song on the Step Up 3D soundtrack is TO DIE FOR)
  • J is for new Jason Mraz duet (with Hope - Love Love Love): Hurrah! My beloved Jason Mraz has added his vocals to a single by delightful new artist Hope on her effervescent song Love Love Love. I've heard a solo version and this duet, and their vocals blend so well that at times I forget I'm not listening to a self duet (a la Janet's Love Will Never Do). It's musical alchemy of the highest order with a sweet as honey chorus that stays the right side of cheesy and just remains romantic. Quite heavenly. Perfect for the I'm Yours brigade. Keep an eye on Hope too - I really like her sound :)
  • J is for Jordin Sparks (Beauty and The Beast): I actually mistyped that and put Beauty and the Beats, which - if it hasn't been already - would be a great girl group album title. But I digress. Anyway, Disney are putting one of my favourite movies of all time onto blu-ray and Jordin is joining Celine & Play in being the latest artist to cover the title track. It's got a lovely acoustic lilt to it for the first few bars which are so charming. Of course, it all then gets a bit A/C and Disneyfied, but that's to be expected and it's a fine version. Million miles from Battlefield of course but I'm so excited about the blu-ray that I can't help but not really care and sing along anyway.
  • J is for Japanese comeback (Deborah Gibson - Ms Vocalist): Well bless my barnacles! 7 long years after her broadway album, Deborah is back to being Debbie and is releasing an album of Japanese pop songs! Apparently it was done fella style by Eric Martin (from Mr Big, 90s ballad fans) and now Debs is doing 10 Japanese hits and a new version of Lost In Your Eyes (it's been 4 years since she rerecorded this last as an acoustic song with The O'Neill Bros). I was mightily surprised by Larry Flick lason Thurs when a sexily purring Deborah spoke to me on the phone for a little while. I was so flabbergasted I came across as right blustering tit (see the comment section!) but it was quite lovely. I got the scope from Deb that she is working on adding her new song Rise to the cd (from her fella's new documentary and potentially one of the best things she's done in a long time) and looking for a US iTunes release. Brillo.
  • J is for Japanese bonus track (Maroon 5 - Crazy Little Thing Called Love): I did quite a positive write up of the new M5 album in the week. Since then, i've got their acoustic version of the Queen classic. It's a pretty straightforward cover version, but Adam's vocals stand out and are quite lovely against the rockabilly vibe of the tune. Definitely worth a moment or two of your time...
  • J is for Elton John (duet with Leon Russell - If It Wasn't For the Bad): Apparently Leon is one of those grizzled old American singer songwriters. He's teamed up with Reginald for his new album The Union, and this dark little ditty is apparently the first fruits from that collaboration. It comes across as a sort of nicer version of the True Blood theme tune, with lots of enjoyable piano and a sort of wisdom to the simple message of the chorus that younger singers wouldn't be able to convey. I really like it as it happens...
  • J is for James Blunt (Stay The Night): La Blunt is back! I've never been in the "lets revile him" camp and found lots of songs I enjoy by him. His comeback tune is a very pleasant indeed, upbeat little swinger - powered forth by an energetic guitar riff and fun chorus, with chanty vocals during the middle 8 (which I always adore in pop songs). A couple of listens and you're entirely hooked. Aces.
Top 21 songs of the week:

21 ~ Brandon Flowers, Only The Young (NE)
20 ~ Alesha Dixon, Drummer Boy
19 ~ McFly, Party Girl
18 ~ Bjorn Johan Muri, Once Upon A Time
17 ~ Bright Light x 2, Love Part II
16 ~ Jesse McCartney, Shake
15 ~ Nadine Coyle, Insatiable (NE)
14 ~ James Blunt, Stay The Night (NE)
13 ~ Ace of Base, All For You
12 ~ DeeDee, Balls
11 ~ Kelly Rowland, Shake Them Haters Off
10 ~ Scissor Sisters, Any Which Way
09 ~ Jessie J, Price Tag (NE)
08 ~ Kylie Minogue, Get Outta My Way
07 ~ Sophie Ellis Bextor, Not Giving Up On Love
06 ~ Eric Saade, Masquerade
05 ~ Darin, Lovekiller
04 ~ Elouise, The Winner Takes It All
03 ~ Maroon 5, Give A Little More
02 ~ Gravitonas, Religious
01 ~ Robbie Williams, Shame (2 weeks/vid)

Next: X Factor double bill. Oh Lord...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

FREE HOT BODYPAINTING | HOT GIRL GALERRY