Saturday, July 31, 2010

Ah Monsieur Simon of the Curtis. In case you didn't know, I'm quite the fan. Perhaps even a stan as the popjustice forum mob might say, whatever that is. Anyway, I've devoured Alter Boy, I've had an 8 Bit Heart bypass and I've seen Simon going from having a few loyal followers to nearly 14,000 people adoring his every tweet on twitter. Not bad. He's had 5 top 5 hits from his 8 Bit Heart album (ok Pop Messiah hit the top of my charts a couple of years ago now, but I still link it to 8 Bit Heart; others include Delusional, Diablo, Super Psycho Love and Beat Drop) and yet I still haven't seem him live. This is pants. With a capital P. At this point I'm seriously thinking of just sponsoring him to come over and play at my favourite bar, Eden in the glamour of Birmingham :P Grife! *Plan formulate :P*

This past Thursday, he played a live show at The Mint in LA (There is also a The Mint in Birmingham. Oh this plan is so going to happen!)This was an acoustic set which is always a risky little game in planet pop. It really proves whether you have the pipes live (Simon does, no surprise with his Glee type, musical theatre background)... It also proves whether your songs can hold up in their rawest form - stripped back bare where only the melody and lyrics can shine. Mercifully, they do - particularly the song that is vying for my song of 2010 (it was also my number 3 song of 2009) along with All The Lovers - Diablo. You will no doubt have noticed a nice video at the top of the post where you can witness Simon sing away. Impressive breath control keeps the song together (much like You Can't Stop The Beat in Hairspray, unless you know every little nuance it leaves you looking a proper breathless numpty when you try to singalong!) and it retains all of it's charm. Hurrah! But wait! There's more...

A new song from Simon's upcoming album (which I really think he should charge for - even if it's a nominal amount like $5. He's built up quite the fanbase that would be more than willing to cough up, and I'm sure the boy has to eat!) was premiered in a stripped back acoustic form. It's most likely to sound very different on the album, but this is a more than pleasant preview. The verses have rapidfire lyrics, but you can tell the chorus is going to as massive a dance tune as Diablo, Bad Romance or Commander - it's a simple, but effective hook and I can't wait to see what magic Jadion has worked on it. Controversial middle 8 that is nicely slowed down ("there's a gun for me/there's a gun for me/better shoot to kill/you know what to do") with a rather angry spoken quasi-rap that reminds me of Love Game by Lady Gaga (it hardly seems like it should be a Simon album without a nice angry "fuck" somewhere in there!) What's most interesting (apart from the fact that once I again I emphasise how absolutely massive this is going to sound in studio form) is that you can see Simon almost busting to let loose a fierce dance energy to this song, but keeping it nicely restrained. Better shoot to kill indeed, because should a major label pick this up (PICK IT UP YOU FOOLS) then this will just about murder anything else vying for a number one slot...

And it would be remiss of me to close this post without pointing out Simon's acoustic version of Bad Romance. Simon had twittered about wanting to do a cover... I had suggested Unloveable by Darren Hayes to be slotted either before or after 8 Bit Heart (title track). That was met with a "I'll have to save that for a really special show" (I'm assuming your British debut at either Eden or The Mint in Birmingham, eh Simon?! :P) so I guess this will do nicely instead. The song works perfectly as a stripped back ballad, Simon's vocals really shine in the chorus and he clearly adores the song. His french was quite good too (which reminds me, whatever happened to that French duet he did with Thomas Dekker?!) but what the fuss? Where were the monster claws?! Disappointing :P Overall, I really like Simon in a more intimate acoustic environment. It showcases his vocal power well and shows what a clever little pop bloke he is. More please. And soon :)

Top 21 Songs Of The Week:

21 ~ Chanee & N'Evergreen, In A Moment Like This
20 ~ Simon Curtis, Beat Drop
19 ~ Eric Saade, Masquerade (NE)
18 ~ Le Kid, Mercy Mercy
17 ~ Bang Bang Club, Chemistry
16 ~ Dirty Disco, White Room
15 ~ Gabriella Cilmi, Love Me Cos You Want To
14 ~ Ola, All Over The World
13 ~ McFly, Party Girl
12 ~ Eric Saade, It's Gonna Rain
11 ~ Scissor Sisters, Any Which Way
10 ~ Kylie, All The Lovers
09 ~ Bright Light x2, Love Part II
08 ~ Magic Numbers, Pulse
07 ~ Same Difference, Shine On Forever
06 ~ Kylie, Get Outta My Way
05 ~ Darin, Can't Stop Love
04 ~ Brandon Flowers, Crossfire
03 ~ Amy Meredith, Lying
02 ~ Darin, Lovekiller
01 ~ Maroon 5, Misery (5 weeks)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

FREE HOT BODYPAINTING | HOT GIRL GALERRY