Wednesday, July 14, 2010

It's absolutely no secret at all that I am a pop boy through and through. I like my music bright, cheerful, danceable, sometimes heartbreaking, loud and energetically, unashamedly pop. And that's ok. But sometimes pop music comes in other forms which make me yearn for something outside my comfort zone. I'm not always as vocal about the songs I come across that perhaps don't fit neatly into my "pop" genre, but that doesn't mean I love them any less. Here are three that I currently adore muchly...

Frankie & The Heartstrings ~ Fragile:

I first wrote about F&TH back in January and have followed their progress ever since. They've managed to turn a dedicated online following into an active fanbase, which has lead to the release of the track you see above. And what an exquisitely crafted tune it is - from the earnest building of the 60s infused verse structure through to a lovely melodic chorus, lead singer Frankie takes us on a tale of lamentable love doused in retro-pop sensibilities. There's a drama in the lyrics that gives the songwriting a real frisson of raw emotion; in turn this gives the music a real relateability regardless of where you are in your life. And by concentrating on creating music that has a timeless feel, it eschews current trends but I suspect will sound equally delightful in 10 years time, rather than dated and dreary. Definitely one to watch.

My First Tooth ~ Orchards:


My First Tooth are a real quirky kick in the backside. They take folk based music and soak it in a rich melodic and harmonious pop structure that gives the delivery a real passion. Think Surfjan Stevens but not... There's a je ne sais quoi about them that draws you in and makes their tunes part of your larger collective daily experience. Orchards is their new single, and one that aims for the sky in it's ambitious delivery and actually hits the mark too. It's jangly and perky, with some bonkers violin action going on right in the middle of the song, making you feel deliriously giddy with the energy and emotion it creates.. The harmonies are lovely and it's a warm, engaging ditty that I can only imagine would sound brilliant and energetic on a live stage. I'm definitely off to check out some of their earlier work that was released late last year. Alcopop are certainly churning out some quality bands lately :)

Candle Thieves ~ Breathing (Just For You):

True story - I personally like to think the parenthisised 'just for you' is, in fact, just for me. That may be incredibly narcissistic though :/ Perhaps that is just one of the other misfortunes spoken about on their very good indeed debut album Sunshine & Other Misfortunes which takes upbeat perky pop melodies and mixes them with downbeat lyrical genius. Their latest single, Breathing, is a sweet and sour addition to this canon - it continues with their use of unusual instruments (glockenspiel, casio - i think?!), weaves in their magical ability to develop an instantly ingratiating and lush melody and wallops out an entirely mesmerising chorus that is full of joyous harmonies. It's all underscored with a lovely galloping syncopated rhythm that drives the song forward and makes it an ideal choice for chart success. Gorgeous. (Bright Lights as the next single please)...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

FREE HOT BODYPAINTING | HOT GIRL GALERRY