Sunday, January 10, 2010

There's no denying that when I choose a pop act to adore, I tend to follow them through good times and bad. Hence 22 years after I bought Out Of The Blue, I'm still trotting after Deborah Gibson like a lost puppy dog. Sure, she hasn't done an album of original material since 2001's epic MYOB (though there was a broadway album, 2 demo albums and numerous one off tracks) but I live in hope that she will achieve an immense pop comeback a la Tina Turner. To tide me over, there is a video of her surfaced on youtube duetting with Jaron (from Evan and Jaron - those catchy ditty makers from late last century) on the Dawson's Creek-esque smash Crazy About This Girl. I just love to see her pound those keyboard keys and make pop sound so effortless. Plus, I quite like that Jaron calls her "my dear". For a more uptodate Deborah sound check out this website for a clip of a new (?) single by her called Cougar. It's very Britney via The Saturdays with a hint of Lady Cuckoo. Despite the autotuning in the verses, that I'm not a fan of, it's still got undeniably Deb moments ("give momma some sugar!") that make me want to hear more AND make it sound like a new top 40 smash. Yes I'm still that dedicated... Now before I get onto the chart of change (my top 21 always undergoes a bit of a revamp in January), here are some new songs I'm belatedly getting into...
  • Ke$ha ~ TikTok: Oh I am so very late on this, but I haven't been able to escape it on Larry Flick lately, or while I was in vegas and I'm enjoying it quite a lot in this snowy weather. The album isn't quite a slam dunk but it's a lot of fun and I can see why D'Luv has luvved writing about her so much :)
  • Adam Lambert ~ For Your Entertainment: Once again blame Larry for this one too (it's a lovefest!) - he has tirelessly promoted this album and got me into another American Idol when I swore I was only concentrating on XFactor. Plus Nick's enthusiasm didn't hurt either!
  • Owl City ~ Fireflies: I thought actually that this would make one of those lovely surprise Christmas number ones like Mad World or that one about the JCB. It's not even out in the UK yet, but it's entirely cute, singable and lovely. And has already won over the rest of the world!
  • Eva Simons ~ I Want To Make Love To The World: The title of it makes me think of that crazy actor from The Piano when he made his unforgettable oscar speech. The song makes me want to get up, dance, boogy, grab the one I love and shimmy. It's so much more than the addictive Silly Boy :)
  • Barenaked Ladies ~ You Run Away: Thank heavens John reminded me they were still around. BNL (like Dashboard Confessional and Indigo Girls) are one of those groups I absolutely adore but don't blog about as much as I should. I have always thought they do quite brilliant ballads, but this is one of their more anthemic ones and I am already far more in love with it than I should be. Constant repeat. Lovely piano, lovely vocal, great layered harmonies, crescendos. EPIC.

TOP 21 SONGS OF THE WEEK:

21 ~ Mans Zelmerlow, A Stranger Saved My Life
20 ~ Simon Curtis, Delusional
19 ~ Whitney Houston, I Look To You
18 ~ Natalie Imbruglia, Scars
17 ~ Nerina Pallot, When Did I Become Such A Bitch?
16 ~ Alcazar, Thank You
15 ~ JLS, Close To You
14 ~ Leona Lewis, Stop Crying Your Heart Out
13 ~ Industry, My Mistake
12 ~ Pet Shop Boys, It Doesn't Often Snow At Christmas
11 ~ Blake Lewis, I Left My Baby For You
10 ~ Dangerous Muse, I Want It All (NE/VID)
09 ~ Alphabeat, Hole In My Heart
08 ~ The Saturdays, Ego
07 ~ Alexandra Burke, Broken Heels
06 ~ Robbie Williams, You Know Me
05 ~ Agnes, Love Love Love
04 ~ RyanDan, Can't Help Falling In Love
03 ~ Ryan Ferrada, Room 501 (NE)
02 ~ Barenaked Ladies, You Run Away (NE)
01 ~ Simon Curtis, Diablo (2 weeks)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

FREE HOT BODYPAINTING | HOT GIRL GALERRY