Friday, January 29, 2010

I've been amazingly mad busy with work on a very last minute project that sort of took all my time up. Basically Matt Morris, Elouise and Music Go Music got me through it - and their soothing sounds are all reflected within the first MFP Chronicles of 2010. Yes, I should have done one in January, but I forgot and now the songs are all quite old. So I'm moving on, because I'm hardly cutting edge as it is :P So here it is. Enjoy. Or not. It's up to you ;) But it would be churlish to have got this far and not sample some of the tunes wouldn't it?! Have a funky weekend "y'all"!!

1 ~ Elouise, Fireman of my Dreams: Did you read the Steve Anderson interview over at DSTP? Lots of it was marvelous and about the unique talent of Elouise as she sets out her stall as evoking the smoky memories of singers like Dusty Springfield. Dreamy and heavenly is the only way I can think of to describe this utterly gorgeous number. It's very me, very lovely and one listen is never enough.
2 ~ Music Go Music, Light of Love: I love how this instantly sounds like one of those very organic, played live in the studio early Abba tracks (like Treat Him Well). Gorgeous vocal performance, perky chorus, memories of Abba and a song so sunshine that were it produced by Pete Waterman for Eurovision, it would be biggest triumph since 1974. See the video above if you don't believe me. Phenomenal.
3 ~ Boyzone, Gave It All Away: The elegant cello (I think) and piano juxtaposed with the almost hilarious faux cod-reggae Lilt commercial beat wins me over everytime, but it's still Stephen's opening line that absolutely kills me. Gives the tune an added poignancy. Is quite nice and growing on me extremely rapidly.
4 ~ Matt Morris, Money: Ah, my new obsession. A deliciously laid back, smokey room gem of a tune that provides social commentary about the state of our economy without you even realising you are learning a lesson. Ah, if only school were this enjoyable. Just one of many many amazing tracks on his jaw droppingly good debut album...
5 ~ Jason Mraz, Kickin With You: Isn't it about time that Jason Mraz had a greatest hits album out? All those people who fell in love with him around the time of I'm Yours would be able to investigate the other facets of his music. While I adore his more inspirational music, I do love the fun, chilled out Jason as provided on this free flowing funk out.
6 ~ Donkeyboy, Ambitions: This song absolutely sounds like it belongs in a John Hughs movie. Possibly Sixteen Candles which remains my very favourite of his. It's somewhat big 80s band sounding, with an out of this world chorus that is a bit devastating really. Still, don't let the lyrics bring you down because when the music is this good, there's nothing to feel bad about :)
7 ~ Lemar, The Way Love Goes: As I've already said, if Shayne Ward comes back with something as spunky and perky as this, I'll be more than happy. It's certainly made me sit up and take notice of Lemar (a bit late really as this is from his greatest hits) ~ particularly as he "duets" with JLS on one of his new tracks. That will be quite good in May if that song is back to back with a JLS single :)
8 ~ JLS, One Shot: As they abandon the UK for the USA you think "oh yay a new JLS song and it's a ballad" Which it starts as, but then turns into a bit of Blazing Squad remixed by Scooter rave track with quite a good chorus hidden in the casserole. It's many songs in one, but not in a brilliant "Biology" sort of way. Still, Britain seems to be lapping it up despite there being better songs on the album...
9 ~ The Saturdays, One Shot: I like symmetry I do, which is the main reason this Saturdays song is on the list. It's called the same thing as what the JLS song is called! Even though it's a different song. I haven't been this excited since En Vogue and Wilson Phillips did very different versions of Hold On. Plus this is far more energetic and interesting than their ballady pick of a next single (Here Standing :/ )
10 ~ Sugababes 3.0, Wear My Kiss: I wrote about this the other day so I don't really have much to say other than a) I just realised that it sounds like a (quite good) Girls Can't Catch b-side or St Trinians soundtrack type tune and b) it still reminds me of Dress You Up which makes me yearn for vintage Madonna. Though It's So Cool is quite good isn't it?
11 ~ Bananarama, The Runner: Hurrah! The ramakins have got a proper groove-tastic remix of this tune as the AA side to their quite good choice Love Don't Live Here Anymore single which is out God knows when. I'm quite digging The Runner's "oooo"s, possibly because I didn't know the original. PS, Elouise does a nifty version of it too. In your face all those who don't think she can be uptempo :)

12 ~ Leona Lewis, I Got You: Yes, Leona, it's all your own fault that Happy wasn't a hit in America. Perhaps if you'd gone there and been unattractive like Susan Boyle you would be massive all over again. But really it's because this sparkling little tune should have been your first single with Stop Crying Your Heart Out next. Sigh. When will people learn?
13 ~ Shakira, Men In This Town: Surely to God the best chance for some more She Wolf style success off her latest album? The quirky lyrics ("Matt Damon's not meant for me" - how aces of bases would it be if he were in the video?) hide the fact that this is a tautly produced simmering electro-pop ditty that soars in the chorus and is all sorts of magnificence because of it :)
14 ~ Little Boots, Hearts Collide: LB should be entirely massive by now, but (barring Remedy) isn't. Shame really because the album is totally solid with lots of great moments on it, but she just looks like she is having such a miserable time as a pop star instead of being seen as a "serious musician". Oh dearie me. This is quite seductive though.
15 ~ Marina & The Diamonds, Hollywood: I fell and fell hard for Marina last year when she lured me in with her quite smashing tune I Am Not A Robot. I was less enthralled by the follow ups (Obsessions/Mowgli's Road) yet remain hooked. Nearly matching the giddy nosebleed heights of Robot, is the snappy Hollywood, particularly in the glorious orchestral remix (above) which gives it an almost nursery rhyme like quality. Oh my god you look just like Shakira, no you're Catherine Zeta. Uh, no - her name's Marina.
16 ~ A1, Don't Want To Lose You Again: Bloody nora. I've barely got used to the fact that I belatedly love Take You Home from last November's comeback, and they have another track out. This one is all to do with Eurovision heats and is just as delicious. I love how they come across as baby-coldplay, yet their tunes are quite quite massive. Ben is looking quite nice too at the moment.
17 ~ Backstreet Boys, All Of Your Life: I'm not sure if BSB are even still bothering with their album (see act 19 also) but this is one of my favourite funky pulsating tracks that would have dominated top 40 ten years ago. Sadly times have changed but I haven't :) Another song that would be quite brilliant if Shayne Ward had come back with it (see also Lemar, The Way Love Goes...)
18 ~ Mika, Rain: I'm increasingly fond of this song. It's definitely my favourite from his latest album (at the moment) and though I went through a brief period of being bored with him this month, I'm back to wondering why he's turned everyone off as quickly as he turned them on ~ it's worse than when I accidentally did a botty burp while canoodling with Darren. Still, this is very splendid indeed.
19 ~ Westlife, Shadows: Have they bloody given up on the album already? Well I haven't. Yes everyone bemoans their success, but they have been fairly constant with enjoyable key changes for over 10 years now. This won't set any records for being startlingly innovative, but it's very enjoyable and one of the stronger tracks from the i'm-not-abandoning-it-even-if-they-are latest "opus"...
20 ~ Michael Buble, Baby You've Got What It Takes: I do enjoy a bit of the Boob when he's all loosened tie, "jazzing" his goodness across his listeners (oo-er, etc). This feels like it should be performed in a darkened club, filmed for a video in the same "hues" as Take That's Everyone Changes. If any song is likely to match Haven't Met You Yet's success, it's probably going to be this one. Maybe.
21 ~ Matt Dusk, Good News: He's a bit like the Boob. One of those smoulderingly quite attractive jazz genre singers that really yearns for a bit of pop success along the way. Nothing wrong with fusing of genres I say, it can lead to quite decent music actually. Like this, which I am enjoying muchly. Lovely piano fingering going on. Oh to be those keys... :P
22 ~ Hurts, Blood Tears and Gold: It's another tune that sounds like it belongs in a rain scene of a romantic 80s comedy. I find it all terribly endearing and lovely though. I find myself returning to the immense chorus over and over again, and the vocal is mesmerising. Oddly though, it often makes me want to listen to Living In A Box's Room In Your Heart :)

So two questions ~ 1) why are my blog posts incapable of being short and snappy? and 2) what's your favourite song on the list? Answers on a postcard (ie, in the comments) please!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

FREE HOT BODYPAINTING | HOT GIRL GALERRY