Sunday, January 24, 2010

Why must life be so colossal failurey at times? Still never mind all that for today is a bonza ripper day (Darren turns uh, thirty-something this very day) and although I'm a bit late on my girl-pop post, it's going to be a doozy. Or at least will pass a few of your earth minutes before something better comes along... Right, better be quick as Darren will be pestering me soon for some of that good birthday loving I so freely give... :P

Michaela Wright ~ Never Gonna Give In:

This is a "thanks Larry Flick" artist ~ I caught her on his radio show this week and instantly fell in love with this solid, pretty pop tune (that is also doing some whizz-bang business in remix format too). While the remixes certainly create a frenzied dance floor atmosphere of grab a partner and hip-pop til you boogie type insanity, the original version (above, accompanied by a simple but effective video) relies on strong melody, a confident vocal and a memorable, sing-a-long chorus. In a world where gimmicks seem to be the norm for launching new pop careers, it's refreshing to see an artist concentrate on the basic need to put together a radio friendly tune that is instantly ingratiating. Quite charming - and a) the dude's pretty hunky who is on the stairs with her and b) I love the tutu dress in the video (apparently from a shop called Cutting Edge in Kent, uk tutu-dress fans :P). Can't wait to hear more from her :)

Taylor Swift ~ Today Was A Fairytale:

Let me count the ways that this song should appeal to me in an amazing and brilliant way: Firstly, it's from a new movie called Valentine's Day (preview above)that is essentially the new Love, Actually (best. movie. ever) but set at Valentine's Day (how on earth they came up with that title is beyond my powers of genius marketing comprehension). Secondly, I really like Love Story, Fifteen and You Belong To Me. Thirdly, I quite like Taylor Swift sometimes. So I should really be all over this like a rash. I'm a bit iffy on it at the moment. Part of me finds it quite enticing and lovely in a disney sort of way. The other part of me thinks it's a bit of a rehash of Love Story meets You Belong To Me, and that Taylor could have done something a bit more show-stopping. Having said all that, when I see it in the context of the movie, I probably won't be able to stop raving about it...

Amy MacDonald ~ Don't Tell Me That It's Over:

I liked Run. I liked Mr Rock n Roll. Yet, I don't think I ever fully connected to Amy as an artist. This track may begin to change that though as I find it quite assertive, addictive and actually quite musically aggressive in parts. It's a impassioned and dramatic plea to an errant lover who is thinking of calling it quits just because the going gets a little bit tough in the relationship. It's a feisty, rocking little tune, Amy is looking great and perhaps I'm just about ready to embrace her second album. It's like the harder-edged Belinda Carlisle/Go-Gos sound never went away :)

Music Go Music ~ Warm In The Shadows:

It's all down to Dan Project 76 that I adore Music Go Music. He introduced them to me last year and although it took me a while to finally appreciate their sound, once I did I was addicted. Like honey to the bee. At times they sound like an indie version of Abba, mixed with the organic musical sensibilities of Sparkling Arrest or Magic Numbers. There is also elements of Blondie, the Carpenters and Donna Summer thrown in the mix as well. Their lush, engaging disco epic Warm In The Shadows may be nearly 10 minutes long, but it would be an absolute crime to try and edit it in any way. The gorgeous chorus just envelops you and immerses you in possibly the most abba experience of the year outside the band reforming. Utterly intoxicating musical breakdowns add to the appeal of the track and I frankly, just can't get enough. More on them soon...

Top 21 Songs of the Week...

Not much change this week, though a whole host of songs are chomping at the bit to get in the chart (including tracks by Donkeyboy, Hurts, Adam Lambert, Hugh Sheridan, Lemar, Michaela, A1 et al). I just can't seem to let go of the lingering "hits" from Christmas though... lovely new Elouise video below makes me ever so happy indeed. It's what the word "dreamy" was invented for :)

21 ~ Mika, Rain (NE)
20 ~ Leona Lewis, Stop Crying Your Heart Out (Live Lounge vid)
19 ~ Robbie Williams, You Know Me
18 ~ RyanDan, Can't Help Falling In Love
17 ~ Marina & The Diamonds, Hollywood
16 ~ Jason Mraz, Kickin' With You
15 ~ JLS, One Shot
14 ~ Natalie Imbruglia, Scars
13 ~ Agnes, Love Love Love
12 ~ The Saturdays, Ego
11 ~ Nerina Pallot, When Did I Become Such A Bitch
10 ~ Blake Lewis, I Left My Baby For You
09 ~ Boyzone, Gave It All Away (NE)
08 ~ Dangerous Muse, I Want It All
07 ~ Alphabeat, Hole In My Heart (Ace Sound of Arrows remix)
06 ~ Alexandra Burke, Broken Heels
05 ~ Owl City, Fireflies
04 ~ Ryan Ferrada, Room 501
03 ~ Elouise, Fireman Of My Dreams (Vid)
02 ~ Barenaked Ladies, You Run Away
01 ~ Simon Curtis, Diablo (4 weeks)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

FREE HOT BODYPAINTING | HOT GIRL GALERRY