Saturday, March 29, 2008

View interview in Russian here - Пузыри шипучки Fizzy: Интервью Sergey Lazarev - "поп-музыкы будет существовать forever"

Sergey looking smart...

The weather in England is pretty gloomy, wet, windy, dark and cold. Russian pop star, ice skating star, circus star Sergey looks a touch S.A.D. by the whole experience - especially as he tells me that it is actually warmer in Moscow right now than it is in London. None of this however, stops him being entirely enthusiastic about his mini-tour of England, strolling around drinking Starbucks (more on our bonding over White Chocolate Mochas later) and his final performance in the UK at Heaven later that very day. To be honest, I'm not big on meeting popstars. I like the air of mystique surrounding them, I like raising them to a higher level of adulation and just because I am wholly fortunate enough to have wangled an interview I don't expect that I am their friend for life (something Sergey rather wittily regales tales of halfway through the interview when I declare this!). But lets just get this out of the way - Sergey is an incredibly engaging individual who not only manages to look stunning in a simple jeans and blue sweater outfit, but has this endearing way of searching for the correct English word to explain what he wants to say. The whole package, shall we say is rather likeable. Lets face it, the boy can sing, skate, trapeze, dress and is as good looking as heck. It's no wonder that another pop act contacted me later to pass on his email address to him :P So feeling rather dumpy and large, with horrible hair in comparison (which is now short and foxy hair fans), I got on with the nerve wracking task of talking to a genuine future international superstar...



Sergey entertaining the fans...

We start off by discussing Sergey's current album TV Show. Sergey explains that actually he is most often asked to describe his sound, which he finds difficult because he feels the music should speak for itself and that he does not pigeonhole himself into one particular genre. However, he does explain that there is a european pop feel to the whole affair - the one Russian aspect of it is Sergey himself. Clearly excited by his music and upcoming third album, Sergey describes his plans to break big outside of mainland Europe:

Sergey ~ Fake promo

"I have released two solo albums in Russia and am currently recording the third one. Here we started the promo last year, we released the first single "Fake" - it's a light pop song that we released in clubs last year. It was like the first step for me. Then we followed that with the single Shattered Dreams - it's a huge 80s song by Johnny Hates Jazz. We did a few different mixes of the song and released it in the clubs. Then I released the third single Everytime and now I am here to promote my next single - "Girlfriend". So it's a step by step process and I am trying to promote myself as the new person, the newcomer from Russia. English people know something about Russia, but not very much and not very well. I'd like to explain more, especially through music."

When I mention that there is a variety of different sounds peppering his two albums, Sergey drops some Robbie Williams "The Ego Has Landed"/McFly "Just My Luck" type news into the conversation...

"Actually we are releasing the album here (in the UK) on the 26th May and it will be a mix from my first two albums. I will choose the songs that really sound the most 'now'. I have to choose carefully because the first album was released two years ago and recorded even longer ago - but I wanted to do this mix because I believe that there are a few songs on the first album that are very strong and modern, even now."

When talking about one of the key ways to break into the UK, Sergey and I discuss his current club dates and how they compare and contrast to work he has done back home in Russia...


Sergey gets clubbing...

Sergey ~ Girlfriend promo

"We have a few club shows in different areas and to different audiences. I was quite surprised that in one of the clubs it was for under 18 year olds, which I believe is quite common in England. We don't have that in Russia and then I was told that you even do school tours in England! I was actually very nervous but the children were very excited and I got excited, and relaxed a little bit and actually the performance went very well. Girlfriend (which is released in May) has already started in clubs."

I mention that it must be a huge difference to perform in these clubs to say, performing Flyer in the Eurovision finals. When Sergey raises an eyebrow as if to say "you saw that??" i tell him it is on youtube, and he nods 'of course!' - a theme that will return several times later in the chat...

Sergey ~ Flyer eurovision finals performance

" I recorded that song especially for Eurovision and we didn't have a lot of time to put the performance together. My dancers and I had about a week to do it, and everyone thought we did a great job and that it went very well. We are not going to do it here, but today we are going to wear the costumes as they are very nice costumes and especially at Heaven, I think they will love it! Eurovision was a great opportunity to show my song to a russian audience and also to compete. Sometimes when you are an established famous artist, you don't always have the feeling of a challenge. This is why I did it as well as tv shows like Dancing on Ice and Circus With The Stars. I need that challenge. I need something more."

Sergey and his dancers...

And i'd be happy to give it to him, but there really isn't time :P Already Sergey is moving on to talk about his opinions on Eurovision...

"People had been asking me for about 3 years now to do Eurovision and i had said no. It's a very different type of show - it's one day and no one really remembers you afterwards. It's a different type of contest to how it used to be and it has a different image. [I mention that in England it's not taken particularly seriously] - oh but in Russia it is VERY serious [and Europe - particularly Sweden?] Yes yes yes - Sweden! In fact one of my dancers is from Sweden which is where I went to record the song. Actually my dancer was more upset than anyone else that we didn't get through to Eurovision because he wanted to dance in the contest, but i'm okay with it. Russia took it very seriously and if you win the contest from that date til next year you are a superstar - but then everyone will forget about you. And it's hard to move on from there because you always have the stamp of Eurovision."

It stikes me that actually music and activities Sergey makes for a specific audience are - thanks to the internet - now global commodities. I ask him if he enhances the power of the internet, or just lets it happen naturally (after the interview we briefly chat about pop sites he looks at and I know a surprising amount of them. I'm looking at you PPG!)...

"I think it's natural for people to discuss music and some people will like you and some will not. It's impossible to assume that everyone wil like you. I do think it was better when people wrote letters and had more 'secrets' [like no one gets to go the shops anymore and buy a single by their favourite artist that they are hearing for the first time?] Yes yes yes! Everything has to be so open! [Like Britney Spears?] Like Britney Spears! Every move is documented. And she is more famous for her private life now than she is for her music. Which might be ok now, but in a few years she will have to do something about the music."

As Sergey drinks his peppermint tea (it's good for his vocal chords), I'm eager to discuss Dancing on Ice as I'm such a huge fan. We chat a little about the current series and the popstars that come in 3rd or 4th place. Not second like Sergey which elicits a laugh and a "of course"! I'm interested to know whether he suffered any injuries that seem to dog the UK version...

Sergey ~ moral winner of Dancing on Ice

"It actually was quite dangerous - i didn't break my leg or anything, but I did take it all the routines very seriously. I spent a lot of time practising on the ice because I really like this show and I am really happy that I took part. After this show people looked at me in a different way and had a better idea of what i was trying to represent. Actually I did almost win the show. The judges did actually award me first place, but the audience voted me second. But what happened was the voting was not very, um, 'clear' and it turned out to be even better because after I did a tour across Russia and every person I met said they thought i was the best, and all I could say was thank you thank you!"

Ooo voting scandals in reality tv shows? That's very ITV isn't it?! I ask Sergey if he still skates, and he replies that of course he can but doesn't always have the time. Straight after the show he did his tour and then Circus with the Stars which I am also anxious to hear more about...

Sergey ~ Circus with the stars finale (looking buff)

"I actually won Circus with the Stars which was great as I wanted to do different directions, expand my experience. They are doing the second season of Circus now and after I get back from England I will be doing a new performance for the show. You can check the old performances on youtube - I did several categories: Clown, working with animals, acrobatics, trapeze and illusionist. I did a lot of things, but my favourite was trapeze. So i'm sure it will be on youtube because I am going to do trapeze again. Check it out!"

I promise to do that and can't help but think how great it must be to have been a Sergey fan and follow him on all these shows. Simon Curtis take notice - movie, soundtrack, dancing on ice, and UK tour please. I ask Sergey who he is a fan of....

"I've always liked Robbie Williams [though later reveals he doesn't like the tag "Russian Robbie"!] and I like Justin [ i love how Justin is now a one name commodity!], Kanye West, Chris Brown and Usher. [A lot of r'n'b?] Um, it's just more 'now'. I like pop music and I like dance pop music and i think it will never die - it will exist forever. People are passionate about pop music, they like to drink and dance and have fun to it, so pop music will never die."

As I am obsessed with artists doing the occasional cover of other artists songs, I ask Sergey if he will do a cover for his third album or whether Shattered Dreams was the last one for the time being?

Sergey ~ Shattered Dreams promo

Sergey performing Earth Song

"I did a famous song for my first album by Michael Jackson called Earth Song. Maybe I will do something for the third album. I like to take a song that was popular ten years ago or whenever and turn it into something more modern. [I purport that Shattered Dreams wasn't an obvious choice for a cover version] No! Whenever I start to play it here everyone starts to dance because they know it, but yes in Russia the adults they may recognise the song but not who sang it. They always think it was Duran Duran! Teenagers though it is totally new for. Shattered Dreams is still really big in Russia and I was on the Song of the Year award show. It's rare for a song in English to be on the show because the Russian tv channels don't like to play English music. But sometimes they have no choice - the song was popular and people wanted to hear it. "

Sergey and me!


And sadly with that my brief time with Sergey was up. We had a quick chat about what he likes about England (White Chocolate Mochas with cream on top and the cold but sunny weather); weird blogs that want to be his best friend; the crapness of the name "zavvi"; and me trying to persuade him to perform Flyer at his PA that night (he agrees to consider it, and actually does sing it! Woo hoo! The power of fizzypop rules!). Then he tells me of his plans for his upcoming birthday (April 1st - i don't ask for an invite as I don't want to be one of these weird blogs he mentions :P ) and has to dash off for a radio interview. And i'm left totally enamoured with this super talented yet down to earth and friendly chap. Marvelous.

ESSENTIAL LINKS:
Sergey's UK Music site
My review of TV Show
TV Show makes PPGs top 50 albums of 2007
Sergey Fansite (For the Americas - great site, check it out!)

Slightly edited mp3 audio of interview

Thanks to Lander PR!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

FREE HOT BODYPAINTING | HOT GIRL GALERRY