Saturday, June 30, 2007

Usually being liked by popjustice sadly turns out to be the kiss of death – I mean, tragically BWO and Stefy aren’t topping the charts here, are they and Fierce Girl aren’t currently doing the rounds with a greatest hits tour. So it’s with some trepidation that I check out the latest 3 popjustice recommendations…

  1. Palladium ~ They may dress like a slightly outlandish Panic! At The Disco, but it just adds to their charm. I was pleasantly surprised by their song Happy Hour – it starts off as quite an unassuming little song, but these are the ones that you need to beware of. These are most likely to turn into monster brain magnets, and have you singing all the live long day. The lyrical tongue twister of a verse leads into a rather summery chorus that just demands that you give it attention and drink in it’s clever use of percussion and instrumentation. There’s something about Palladium that is eminently likeable – I’m not sure whether it’s their ability to look quite good despite the fact an Oxfam shop has exploded on them, or their knack of channelling their influences into something quite fun and spunky, but they are definitely a band to keep an eye on. And yay! They are at VFestival so ruthiepoos and I can give their live shows our very seal of approval.

  1. I Am Finn ~ ooo, two out of two for popjustice. I Am Finn successfully mix grinding electro beats with swirling disco noises and a chorus the Kaiser chiefs would wank off a tramp for. Hard manages to be all those things and yet sound fresh and exciting. Dance remixes of this song will be essential to give it’s full indie dancefloor cred, but you probably aren’t going to top the aceness of the radio edit, which if there’s any justice in the world, should be playing on a radio near you soon. And don’t think it’s all thrashy electro – iloveyou and light heart life produce strong melodies and harmonies while being slightly less aggressive and show a different side to the band. Excellent!

The Whip ~ Hmmm. I’m sure The Whip will appeal to a wide range of people (they certainly have more myspace friends than Palladium and I Am Finn, but really what does that mean?) but I don’t think I will be one of them. I like my electro mixed with a healthy dose of accessible pop and some melody thrown in for good measure. Not that the Whip don’t do that, but their music is too hardcore for me and very trendy DJ set sort of music, whereas I’m quite happy doing the wavy arm dance to the chorus of Love Machine. Maybe it would grow on me in time, but for now I have a little bit of a headache and this isn’t helping it in the slightest.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

FREE HOT BODYPAINTING | HOT GIRL GALERRY