Thursday, June 21, 2007

my lovely Tom Baxter has finally gotten around to (quietly) releasing his second album, Skybound. I have been a fan of Tom ever since his debut album was advertised the same time as Nerina Pallot’s Dear Frustrated Superstar in Heat magazine, and I rushed out to purchase both. Ruthiepoos and I even got to see Tom do a fairly quiet set at V a couple of years back! I think Tom was either slightly before or after his time – he produces the same sort of yearning, heartfelt music as James Morrison and Paolo Nutini are successfully selling now, and probably appeals to the same market as them, David Grey and James Blunt, yet has managed to remain under the radar for some reason. Before you all run screaming at the James Blunt comparison, hear me out. I just mean that I think his music could appeal to the people that buy that type of album, yet there is an underlying current of lyrical poetry and mature takes on ancient themes that permeate Tom’s music. The lush use of strings, piano and acoustic guitar give the album a real intimate feel, bringing the listener in as its confidant. Gorgeously atmospheric, there isn’t a weak track here, though it’s not as immediate as some pop albums. Definitely worth more than a moment of your time and in case you want to check out some of the songs first, you can do so at the link below... I’m certain i’ll return to this album when i’ve soaked it in some more...

LINK: Tom Baxter Skybound samples

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

FREE HOT BODYPAINTING | HOT GIRL GALERRY