Monday, October 25, 2010

So guilty pleasures week on the x-factor was nothing of the sort. Frankly, my suggestions for the contestants were far superior. And this week is Hallowe'en? Sweet merciful Blossom Russo, how they will stretch and butcher that theme is beyond me!! (For my song suggestions for the contestants, see the comments box)... But it got me thinking about some very good indeed acts that put out some very good indeed cover versions that are frankly all of the pleasure and none of the guilt. Here are four of my current faves...

Aston ~ Viva La Vida: This Australian orchestral group continues to absolutely amaze and delight me with their classical interpretations of modern day pop songs. And according to an email I just got, their debut album is winging it's way across the ocean to England as I type. Good job, import fees are a mother :P Anyway, what I adore about this version is that it is not only a seamless blend of instruments, weaving together a gloriously rousing version of the tune - but the accompanying video is just as uplifting (the guy on percussion is well foxy). They all look like they are having such a fun time and that reminds me of being in the orchestra band, playing piano at school. It was such fun to hear the tunes come together. The chorus here in particular is a work of genius - the piano really stands out and isn't drowned out by the dramatic percussion and plays perfectly with the violin melody. Quite heavenly. Oh! And the softening just before the choral part of the middle 8 kicks in just sends goosebumps running all over my body. Absolutely celestial.

The Overtones ~ Well Well Well (Duffy cover): I have written a lot about The Overtones lately. And quite rightly so. I find myself quite charmed by them and eagerly await the release of their debut album in a week. They've taken the new Duffy single and managed to turn each unique vocal on the track into an essential element of their performance of the song; it comes across like it was always meant to be a rather avant garde 50s doo-wop classic; the chorus (at around 48s) speeds it up a little bit and you find yourself in finger clicking heaven. It's a catchy tune and they've managed to twist it around and make it something that is completely them. And let's face it - they all look rather marvelous. I adore their style and twitter has taught me that Lachie (far left) knows how to rock a pair of pink jeans. Now that's avant garde :)

Princes & Rogues ~ Acapella (kelis cover): I still mourn the fact that P&R didn't actually make the live shows of the X-Factor, but manage to cope with my varying stages of grief by picking songs for them each week. Not they actually need me (though if they want to offer me paid employment, I can live with that :P) judging from the assorted excellent cover versions on their youtube channel. One of my current faves is their version of Acapella by Kelis. And not just because it's acapella! And not just because of the enthusiastic WOO at the start of the video. And not just because Ash is a bit of a dish. No, mainly because they certainly know how to tightly harmonise, look like they are having a brilliant time and are definitely vocally miles better than about at least 6 of the current x-factor crew. And, like the overtones, they are another group that I am just utterly taken with. I'm wishing them all sorts of success in the future and have a brilliant song lined up from them for Sat's hallowe'en theme :)

Miss Kookie ~ Putting On The Ritz: I have to finish with something that makes me absolutely joyous and uplifted each time I hear it. If you want a song that is unashamedly fun, completely delightful and just insanely, deliriously wave your hands like you just don't care fantastic, then you have come to the right place. It's a modern day take on a classic 20s dancehall number that just enchants from the second the (rather hot) guy introduces us to Miss Kookie in the clip above. It's all hip thrusting vogueing, addictive dance routines, get your flapper on, horn laden magnificence. Miss Kookie delivers an outstanding vocal that totally encapsulates the vibrancy of the tune & there are enough modern day musical additions to make it sound fresh and relevant for today's market. A performance like this would bring the house down on the x-factor. I absolutely must have more, more more :)

Tomorrow: Boyband albums or the new Darin video!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

FREE HOT BODYPAINTING | HOT GIRL GALERRY