Thursday, February 25, 2010

Someone in the office today actually said in a non-ironic quoting way "oh my god, you look like Shakira" and I thought I was being dead witty and urbane when I quickly threw in there "no, no she's Catherine Zeta, actually her name's Marina" only to be met with a barrage of clueless stares. Sigh. It was then that I knew my day could only get better with some lovely pop to listen to when I got home. And hurrah! It was! So let's have a look at some of the super new tunes I got to aurally assess...


Industry ~ I played Industry's My Baby's Waiting when I was on Larry Flick earlier this month (on again on Thurs March 4th!) and I thought, hmmm, as much as I like your ballads (particularly My Mistake), where is this balls to the wall, pecs on patrol, sweaty gonad disco stomper you've been promising? And ta-dah! Much like buses, you wait for one and two come along at once. Splendid. Kill The DJ is a dark ominous electro thumper with some rather saucy lyrics and a swirling chorus. Love the opening line "party's packed/but the music kind of sucks/sick n tired of hearing the same old ga-ga" and the chorus "if you don't keep this song on replay/we're gonna have to kill (kill) the DJ". Genius. Drown In The Music follows along the same theme of excellent electro frippery and a massive skybound pop chorus drenched in dance beats and sing along lyrics. They've been building a following for a while now, but I'm about to go crazy for these tunes. Immense.

The Candle Thieves ~ I wrote about their EP earlier this month, and have since become rather besotted with their lovely brand of sunshine pop. Luckily (as happens when you discover a band a little bit into their career), I didn't have to wait too long for something new and smashing to come along. Their new single We're All Gonna Die is already up on youtube and released for your purchasing pleasure on March 29th, which isn't very far away at all is it? And honestly, it's well worth several of your pennies because it's equally as marvelous as anything on The Sunshine EP. Scott and Glock have created another winning melody that lets their quintessentially English charm shine through (the vocal has shades of my beloved Upper Room's All Over This Town) ~ the single has a positively joyous feel that juxtaposes nicely with the gorgeously bittersweet lyrics, all mixed together in a jangly casio-pop production. It is not only entirely endearing but a real delight to listen to again and again. Their debut album is getting more and more promising with each note they play. Essential.

Rongedal ~ After the mika-tastic Just A Minute "dropped" two melodifestivalens ago, I had a bit of a love affair with the maniac music that was Rongedal. Absolutely adored their debut album, milked it for singles harder than a call girl milks her john in the last five minutes of his paid hour (ew). So hurrah for a second album having just been released in Sweden, because i'm all over it like a rash. The first single proper (Day In Day Out) isn't a million miles away from the jaunty pop sound they showcased on their debut; however I'm going with Nick's recommendation of Because of You as a great example of how they have progressed to a more aggressive, electronica vibe that works well with their penchant for dramatic piano and ridiculously memorable hooks. Can't wait to spend more time getting into the album - full review no doubt some time soon!

Sergey Lazarev ~ There was a bit of a sneak peek last month of Sergey's forthcoming album when Heartbeat leaked on the net. I did quite like that track and wished I'd thought of what one commentator said with "it's like Beat Again over a One Republic beat". It's safe to say that Alarm is radically different to that song. It's Simon Curtis' Diablo/Quentin Mossimann Toc Toc mixed with a Lord Gaga rising instrumentation that slams the beat down in the chorus. It's a great tune, and great to see some boy pop in this vein; very reminiscent of what Darin was doing a couple of years back but Sergey manages to make the tune stand out and remain memorable after a few listens. Could be enormous depending on how saucy the video is :)Plus the dude does look ridiculously good in a suit...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

FREE HOT BODYPAINTING | HOT GIRL GALERRY