Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Motivated, nay inspired by the recent allSTARS* post by D'Luv yesterday, I decided to ward off the back to work after a long weekend blues and create a nice 25 min play list of should've been massive pop songs from this millenium for the walk to work. And it fair put a spring in my step. I was pirohuetting around like a noddy on numpty tablets at a ninny carnival. And then as if to make my day more perfect, Popjustice reminded me of the seminal Same Difference's I Don't Feel Like Dancing X Factor performance and I felt like was Olive Snook singing Birdhouse In Your Soul in Pushing Daisies ie very happy indeed. Here are the 7...

Donal Skehan ~ Double Cross My Heart: Shame on Ireland for not making this brilliant song their eurovision entry last year. Just watch that submission clip above - it's a brilliant endorsement from someone who clearly loves and understands the eurovision process (check out my interview with Donal and his Industry bandmates to show how clued up on Donal is on europop). The song has bits of Bosson's One In A Million in it (not literally in a sampling way, more in a reminds me way), is totally singalong and would have been a worthy eurovision winner and could've spawned a stellar debut album. Luckily Donal found success with Industry who just celebrated their second Irish number one with Burn, and has a new cookbook out in October (link here, now with pics that practically instruct you how to look good in an apron). Good things come to those who cook :)

Fifth Avenue ~ Infidelity: Let's stay in Ireland for this pop nugget. Ignore the big Irish chart success of theirs, Sometimes When We Touch because frankly Newton did it far better. Instead skip to this Papa Don't Preach sampling gem which works incredibly well not only because it's instantly familiar but is a smart pop tune that plays to the strengths of the band. The clip may be on the cheaper end of the pop spectrum, but it doesn't detract from the charm this song holds for me. I still think this song could be massive for someone, and still hold out hope that Deb Gibson (happy birthday!) will pick it up...

Six ~ Whole Lotta Lovin': Yes yes, this is the band that Nadine Coyle lied to get into. Funny how things work out... At one point this was the biggest selling Irish single ever, but I'm not sure if that's still the case or not. Honestly I could've picked any number of Six songs for the playlist (This Is It, United We Stand, the Same Difference covered Let Me Be The One), but this one still holds the most appeal for me. It's about as Abba as you can get in a pop hit and reminds me how innocent and naive the first series of popstars were before public voting turned them into the freakshows they often are today... Weird possi-fact: Liam now apparently works at Bubble Hits where Donal came from! Synergy!

Scandal'us ~ Me Myself and I: Talking of popstars this lot were the second lot of Australian spunk-outs after the glorious bardot. And what a rather funky tune they presented to the world. It hasn't aged brilliantly, but by god I was totally obsessed with it at the time and I still enjoy a good singalong to it. Plus it does go rather brilliant from 2m30s onwards and sounds great blasting loud when you are stuck in slow moving traffic. Fact: Bardot's Poison is one of the finest popstars songs ever.


allSTARS* ~ Land of Make Believe: Oh dear god, I sometimes what is wrong with me when I end up liking songs like this. Look, cards on the table - D'luv is right. Love Is is the far superior song here and Sam looks much more lovely in the Back When clip, but there is something innocent yet vaguely creepy about this clip. Plus they supported Steps once when a whole bunch of the Ace Gang went with me to see them, and we had a right good singalong. Memories ~ a powerful thing when choosing your fave songs :P

Play ~ I Must Not Chase The Boys: Although this song came about ten years too late, it was sort of an anthem to my horny 17 year old self :) Slightly naughty, with a rather thrilling middle 8, there was nothing about this song that failed to impress me for months on end when I first heard it. Why it wasn't an enormous worldwide hit a la Just Dance still causes me to lie awake at night in a cold sweat to this very day...

Deborah Gibson ~ MYOB: Ok, so of course I think any Deborah song post 1990 should have been a massive hit (Everytime We Say Goodbye penned for Ana is still a long lost pop gem). And I'm longing for a huge pop comeback for her (I was too harsh on Already Gone, the teaser track released earlier in the year - it's really grown on me lately!). I actually do believe that MYOB and the album it takes it's name from should've been massive. Any pop group from today would be wise to pick up this song :P Enough talk - I'll let the music do the talking ;) (from about 3m45s)

Blimey ~ this post was a lot like this earlier one I wrote 3 years ago. Nothing like regurgitating one's own work :P

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

FREE HOT BODYPAINTING | HOT GIRL GALERRY