Friday, June 18, 2010

Summer is officially and irrevocably here. In England at least. it's all sun sun sun and world cup world cup world cup. Both of which i'm not a fan of, so it's not the most wonderful time of the year for me (as I've mentioned before). Plus my hayfever is the worst I can ever remember it being, so I'm proper suffering with that. I did get some good stuff from the doctor that cleared up my hayfever for about 36 minutes, but then i nearly passed out. Turns out it has this stuff in that is prescribed as a sedative in America!! I have kept them to use as sleeping tablets!! But I digress as I so very often do! Summer indeed is here and there are some songs/acts that just seem to go very well with the summer season, whether you like the weather or not. Here are a couple of tunes that have perked up an annoying Friday work afternoon...

The Magic Numbers ~ Pulse:

I'm actually a little bit ashamed that I didn't know the Magic Numbers had a new song out this week until Steve Anderson tweeted about the gorgeous video. I mean, I have lots of love for this group - they've had 3 fizzypop number ones (Forever Lost, Love Me Like You & Take A Chance) and I've got lots of lovely sunny day live memories of them with ruthiepoos & the festival gang. Pulse is from their third album, The Runaway, which comes out on 28th June. It's a subdued little tune that causes one to be pensive every time I hear it. It's incredibly delicately orchestral with the gentle refrain "is it the moon & stars above/that make you hurt" - quite elegant in it's delivery and intricate in production. Almost every note, sound and harmony seems to have been individually placed into the tune. The real magic happens just before the three minute mark when a glorious middle 8 kicks in that is both breathtaking and heartbreaking. It may seem a little restrained for some tastes, but repeated listening reveals a soft beauty and a relaxed thoughtful number that is most welcome in this mile-a-minute world. Heavenly, truly heavenly...

The Sparkling Arrest ~ A Midsummer Night (Live At The White Room):

I personally think the Sparkling Arrest are something amazing - and that they haven't broken through to the big time is a mystery to me. Talent for creating such eloquent and inviting pieces of music won't stay hidden for long though so get on board now and let their exquisite craftmanship wash over you. The band is made up of 3 brothers based in Australia (but from New Zealand) whose music is made up of vocals, piano, guitar and beats, woven together in an intricate way that makes you sit up and pay attention. They have recently been loading live recordings of their tunes onto youtube and it gives viewers/listeners the opportunity to experience the songs the way they are intended to be heard. Every nuance and note is worth every second of your time, and the experience is that much more rewarding because of it. Let me explain why... A Midsummer Night is a glorious representation of how their songs grab you, bring you into the story they tell and then completely envelope you. I love the wall of sound they build ~ that piano work is just magnificent, the impassioned vocal soars (and is enhanced by the "for the kingdom" duet part in the middle 8) and lyrically, it's very yearning which absolutely comes across in each of the siblings performances. All their music is so wonderfully crafted, it's hard not to feel a kinship with it and let it take you over, out of the moment and soaring elsewhere. And frankly that's what all good music should do. So take action. Spread the word. The Sparkling Arrest are on their way. Court case and a sentence of life long fandom are only a short way away!

Back on Sunday with a weekly round up of pop goodness!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

FREE HOT BODYPAINTING | HOT GIRL GALERRY