Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Let me preface this article with 3 things that have kept me from writing it before now:

  1. Work imploded at the weekend which means I am up to my neck in sorting it out, so no judging on the popjustice twenty quid music prize for me :(
  2. I was at my good friend Justin's on Saturday night and he fell over dancing to Madonna - we all told him to get back up and not be so wussy about his hurting foot. Next day turns out he has broken his foot, so I am now in full chagrinned guilty friend mode.
  3. I was all excited about the pics of Simon Curtis on the red carpet.

Having said all that, the Will W album now has my undivided attention. And quite rightly so. It's a musical experience that is as luxurious and decadant as the classic Alexis Morrell Carrington Colby Dexter Rowan quote below:

"Could you pass the chocolate covered croissants please Adam. I had them flown in fresh from Paris and I feel like treating myself today"

Ergo, Mr W's album is a chocolate covered croissant. Delightfully fresh, but full of the tasty goodness that you expect in a pop album. It's an homage to the best in pop gone by all delivered with a silky smooth vocal that fits the songs pefectly. Take the album's opening gambit - Getting To Know You is part Will Young laid back groove, part jazz tinged soulful summer vibe that swirls like a perfectly formed ice cream cone being gently licked. There are some lovely layered harmonies emphasising the "on and on" refrain and good use of instrumentation to create a warm inviting track to lure you into the album. And it's a brave man who follows the getting to know you track with a song called Push The Envelope. It invites all sorts of criticisms about the music, vocal, relevance of the performance in today's musical landscape - all regardless of what the lyrical "push the envelope" content is about. The song ultimately isn't particularly groundbreaking, but that doesn't matter because it's another solid midtempo jam, that weaves in some funky vocoder sounds among a musical backdrop that starts off charming and innocent, yet without changing seems to get more down and dirty throughout the song as the steamy lyrics build. Like me in my late teens really. The track Connection appears on the album twice - once in regular format and once remixed. It's easy to see why - it's my favourite track on the disc and would make a brilliant first single. It's a brilliantly catchy chorus with some lovely housey piano chords that remind me of my third favourite Mariah song ever, Make It Happen. It just has that brilliant disco/dance/pop vibe about it, and is just rather effortless with it. Where Lady Gaga seems to try incredibly hard with her music, it seems to come oh so naturally - the "connection" with Will is firmly cemented with this song.

Hollywood Ending shows that Will is as mad as hell and isn't going to take it anymore. Only when he's mad, he's actually quite nice. It's very George Michael Fastlove, but without the seedy conotations. Then comes what has to be the second single (after Connection) - Big Shot. It's everything but the kitchen sink music. Hand claps, a funky insinuating groove, a confident vocal, and those gorgeous house fuelled piano chords again. I'm so going to be dancing my ass off to this this weekend. I'm not entirely sure, but I think Will has done most the backing vocals, and if so, he has done a great job of creating a layered effect that actually sounds like there are a group of sluttily dressed ladies cooing over his shoulder. Then there is a song built around one of my favourite tv creations ever - Carrie Bradshaw. Not only is the title of the track a brilliant way to attract attention to the album, but the groove and minimalistic chorus works well as a tribute to the show. It's totally the soundtrack to that hedonistic sex and the city nightlife. Which personally i only very vaguely recall now through the mists of time.

I'm Away and Forbidden both showcase the silky smooth vocal stylings of Will, and both have trance like choruses that propel the tune. Forbidden is by far the stronger track for me though - once Will is established as a dancehall star this will be throbbing in nightclubs across the country like the sexy lyrics suggest. My Life Story is another song with a title that has lofty aspirations - it needs to be confessional, intimate and epic. It ticks all the boxes and has a persistant beat along the narration. It's the type of song you have to go back to and listen to again and again to get the full impact of the lyrics. Bold and lovely all in one. The clincher of the album has to be Will's delightful cover of Crazy For You. It's very humble sounding, and makes lovely use of chiming instruments and finger clicks. It's hard to cover a Madonna song because often nothing tops the original - this doesn't, but it is a success in terms of transforming a power ballad into a gentle acoustic tune. It's totally sugary and sweet, but not in a winking at the audience sort of way, which I tend to feel some pop acts do. Overall it's a solid debut album with some great dance nuggets, some confessional tunes and an overall understanding of what makes good pop music. The album is available to purchase today fact fans and I suggest you all go and do so! In the meantime, here is a for-a-limited-time-only legal download of Crazy For You (coming later today...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

FREE HOT BODYPAINTING | HOT GIRL GALERRY