Thursday, February 14, 2008


Happy Valentines Day! Well it seems to be anyway. Mr Panteloons and I are going the lowkey route, but it seems lots of my friends aren't really interested. Oh well. I am constantly amused by the fact that the initials for Valentine's Day are VD. It seems skeezily appropriate somehow. Anyhoo, I thought i would take this opportunity to give my thoughts on a few new songs out and about (and post a gratuitous picture of Ferras looking all... flexible)!
  • Ferras - Hollywood's Not America: there is something so vintage and loveable about this track. Whether it's the lovely piano tinkling away and driving forward the familiar yet new melody or the fact that it's a good old fashioned parable about good versus evil I'm not sure. As with my Idina comments yesterday, it's not particularly groundbreaking, but it is rather comforting from first listen. Parts of it remind me of Daniel Powter, bits are very Elton John and some of it is very "Give Me Some Love" by James Blunt. All of it, like Ferras, is utterly delicious and more-ish. Me likey.
  • Jesse McCartney - Leaving: Mr "Co-wrote Bleeding Love" isn't exactly in need of cash at the moment, but returns with a new ditty anyway. In a way he's taken the same route as Shayne Ward did with If That's Ok With You - produced an utterly addictive reggae-lite lilting track with bouncey backing track and catchy chorus (can't stop singing the "g flat, g flat" line!). It's no "Daddy's Little Girl" (his finest 3 minutes), but it smells like a smash to me.
  • Jim Verraros - You Make It Better: Where has all the innovation gone? This is by no means a bad song, but it's so by the numbers pop-rock that it suffers compared to the two above songs by lacking either the emotion (Ferras) or fun (Jesse) to set itself apart from it's peers. It chugs along pleasantly enough, but i just expected a little more "oomph" from Jim. Plus if you want a song about making it better, you can't beat the epic "better" by the very lovely Tom Baxter...
  • Blake Lewis - Got To Get Her: Yes, yes I know that How Many Ways is the "official" second single, but while I'm waiting for that to be officially released with a hideously cheap video, I'm busy playing this riff on Putting on the Ritz. Because it's just marvelous. From the horns to the faux rap to the beat boxing to the gloriously OTT production, everything about this song works for me and gets me in a tizzy each time i hear it. And I firmly believe, much like Simon Curtis, Blake would be served a lot better by promoting his debut album in England and Europe if the execs in the states haven't the good graces to see quality work when it lands on their laps.
Other notable songs by boys: panic! At the Disco, 9 in the Afternoon; Matt Pakora, Dangerous
Disappointing songs by boys: Gavin DeGraw, In Love With A Girl; Ryan Cabrera, Say

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

FREE HOT BODYPAINTING | HOT GIRL GALERRY