Wednesday, February 13, 2008


Well, bugger me (please. But be gentle. Slide in from the left) - you wait for the stars from your favourite ever musical to do something new and three new projects hit all at once (ish). Idina is of course most famous in England for her stratospheric salary for reprising the part of Elphaba in Wicked for it's hugely successful British launch. And of course, since then she had a (strangely, non-singing) part in Enchanted. And her album "I Stand" is a perfect extension of both those projects. All shreds of wickedness are gone, and Idina has teamed up with Glen Ballard to produce an album that is as uplifting as it is schmaltzy. But i am so in that place right now so it is working for me. Frankly, I was a bit worried about an Idina album. Her last effort in 1998 left me cold and her "radio remake" of the pivotal song in Wicked "Defying Gravity" sucked the emotion and power out of it like a vacuum. However, I always find that when my expectations are lowered, the ultimate payoff is higher and I was trilling along to this in the car to godforsaken Blackburn yesterday like a little canary. Positive reinforcements abound throughout the album - title track practically drips woman power as does the utterly gorgeous Brave (which would be a far better American Idol/X-Factor winners song than anything else put out in the past few years) and her powerhouse vocal soars here more than anywhere else. Gorgeous (also available in some kicking - yes i said kicking - dance mixes) is Idina's "Beautiful" - commentary on societies obsession with looks wrapped in a joyous melody and philosophical lyrics. There are more intimate moments as well with My Own Worst Enemy and Forever, where Idina opens up her soul as if she were hawking a self help book on Oprah. Ultimately, it's a great vehicle for an amazing voice and while nothing ground breaking, it's sometimes enough to have some good old fashioned pop/AC music to stir the emotions and lift your spirits.

Essential Link: Buy "I Stand" from Amazon

OTHER WICKED ALUMS:

~ Oliver Tompsett (who replaced the equally edible Adam Garcia as Fiyero in the London production) has released his debut album Sentimental Heart. I'm still waiting for my bloody copy to arrive, but from what i've heard on his myspace, I think I am clearly going to enjoy his pop-rock stylings. More when i hear it!

~ The writers strike is over! I think?! Which means good news for original Glinda, Kristin Chenowitz and Pushing Daisies which has been renewed for a second season. No news on whether any new episodes will air this season, which is a shame as I think there is no other show on the air that could probably produce a most lovely and whimsical valentines day episode as this probably would...

Essential link: Oliver Tompsett's website
Essential link: Buy Sentimental Heart
Essential link: Pushing Daisies website

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

FREE HOT BODYPAINTING | HOT GIRL GALERRY