Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Switch22 - 1985

Simon: I’ve seen these boys quite a bit on The Zapping, but had been a hold-out as far as listening goes up until Paul sent me this song for review, and I have to say that at first I was underwhelmed, then grew to really dig the track by the end. This song in particular seemed to again be very Robbie Williams-esque to me, but that is not a complaint. I find it to be quite incredible just how much Williams seems to have influenced the British pop sound. Production is slick, and I love the end, when the song comes out of the bridge. Good work boys.

Jadion: At first, I didn’t like this song. The theme of longing for the old days seems to have been done before. IE= LFO- Summer Girls etc.. But after hearing it a couple of times, it kind of grew on me. It is well done, and makes you want to move. This may be WAY off to some people, but it sort of reminds me of Gorillaz. I’m not sure why. This should be a nice DJ song and the people my age will appreciate the nostalgia.

Just Jack – Glory Dayz

Simon: Mr. Jack seems to have pulled off quite a feat in becoming rather a love-child of Robbie Williams and Lilly Allen, regarding sound and potential marketability. I must admit that I do enjoy “Starz in their Eyes” quite a bit more than this track, but it still does encapsulate that same cheeky, indie Brit-vibe that launched Ms. Allen to the limelight of the music world last year. Where Allen has succeeded in ascending a pop-throne of her own (no rhyme intended, I assure you :) however, I remain hesitant to predict the same for JJ. I never much cared for the bulk of Robbie William’s rapping, and JJ seems to go for that sound quite a bit. Kind of left feeling a bit indifferent with this particular song, but intrigued by the artist regardless.

Jadion: Upon first pressing play, I hear birds. I have to give credit to anyone who can use samples of birds chirping with a straight face. The sounds are pretty well mixed, vocals are well mixed and compressed. Their sound reminds me of the short lived group Crazytown (the song, Butterfly). As an American, I have to say that this song wouldn’t fit in our mainstream playlists very well as it is very different than what generally works here. That being said, I believe it could have a niche audience. I have to give it some originality and creativity points. I am a very picky person with a relatively small realm of songs that I LOVE for my own personal tastes. But I am very capable of acknowledging when something is done well. In the technical department I give this a 7.5 (of 10). It sticks with me as far as it isn’t like everything else we usually hear, but I wouldn’t call it a hit song.

Sophie Ellis-Bextor – Me And My Imagination

Simon: So Euro, so Disco, so refreshing…Ms. Ellis Bextor is one of those artists who I appreciate more and more the more I listen to her. She’s definitely not making the waves over here in the states like she tends to do over there in Europa, but that’s what she does; Euro-dance, and she does it well. I would imagine I could hear this song being blasted in many a high-end fashion retail outlet here in LA, where you tend to find most European music being played stateside. I like her the most when she goes a bit more electro, but I am not complaining.

Jadion: This track sounds like a super cool hip techno euro sound that you would find playing as ambient music in a swanky Manhattan hotel lounge. It is very good for that purpose. But I wouldn’t see myself listening to it while walking my dog or driving the coast. It really isn’t my kind of song. It is done well and I believe this is simply a matter of personal taste. Sophie has a very nice quality to her voice. If you like the runway model soundtrack material, you will like this song.

Ultra – Sun Shines Brighter

Simon: Westlife wannabes cover a mediocre, wannabe Westlife song. Harsh I know, but this song is just so lackluster to me, pointless. (Paul – although I actually like this song, I laughed my ass off at this review!)

Jadion: Sounds like a country song in the intro. Then it goes into a very tired verse that sounds like it should be in the soundtrack to a really bad teenager angst movie, right about the time the poor girl falls in love and the guy realizes that “she’s the one”. Clean production, but a boring song that makes you say “yeah well, at least it was a clean recording”. As a producer I always wonder, when the decision to release a single like this is made, do the people doing it actually BELIEVE it is a hit song? If not, why bother?

Thanks to Simon and Jadion for their candid and often hilarious reviews J

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

FREE HOT BODYPAINTING | HOT GIRL GALERRY