Sunday, May 24, 2009

Hello again everyone :) My gosh it's an absolutely gorgeous weekend out, and that has contributed to Birmingham Gay Pride being a rather lovely event. And before I say way, I really must direct you to Dan and Heidi who seem to tirelessly campaign for the same rights for GLBT people in the USA that I take for granted. This tiny mention represents a millionth of the respect and admiration I have for them :) Anyway, for me, Bham pride is really just about catching up with all my friends, having an absolute full house (if you look in the background of this pic, you can see my apartment building - it's that close!), cooking delicious good mood food recipes by Donal of Industry (amazing interview up at Chartrigger and a generally positive reception over at Mike Poptrashaddict's singles review panel featuring ace singer James Leon!), having lots of fun and watching the plethora of upcoming pop acts on the main stage. For my pride updates, check out the tweets over at twitter and some photos here :) And with that in mind, here are some upcoming acts that I would have personally loved to see on the main stage this weekend :)

(PS ~ of course I haven't forgotten about the totally amazing clip of the Benny Andersson Band song over at popjustice. You can't imagine how excited I am for the full version to play on radio 2 on Monday, particularly as I forced my buddies this week to live through another dissection of the second best to none video. Expect me to be RAVING about this next weekend!)
(PPS ~ had i been blogging at the beginning of the week, you probably would have lived through my brief obsession with Alexander Rybak's Fairytale. I loved it on monday, had overplayed it by tuesday and was tired of it on Weds. I still think it's a decent song, albeit essentially a remake of Dolly Parton's version of Those Were The Days and can't wait for an album. Read Nick's thoughts here...)

THE FIZZYPOP DREAM MAIN STAGE LINE UP:

It's hard to consistently write about good new acts. Often there is a lack of new product from them as they work hard to promote what they already have. Sometimes I wonder if I'm the only one with any enthusiasm for them! There are those however, that deserve more than the scant few mentions they've had on here so far - it doesn't do justice to my enthusiasm for their music. So yes, I would have loved to see them on the pride stage this year (and hey, some are at London so already good news there!) but really you should be checking out their music and letting me know what you think!


  • Elouise: Yes, i'm starting to blog about her with alarming regularity. That is clearly because you should paying her an awful lot of attention. I just find her so charming and delightful to listen to. And total bonus - she seems absolutely lovely in person too! For proof, check out her interview at puffta. She just makes me want to grab the one I love and shimmy. Best soundtrack for this is her superb track Miracle Man. I'm absolutely transported back to the more innocent pop world of the sixties when the focus of the song was a cracking melody, hand claps. a sumptuous vocal and a chorus to die for. Miracle Man has all that in spades - the chorus positively sparkles with a declaration of the type of love that gets your stomach in a knot. Just bloody gorgeous. Thank god Elouise is still making pop like this. And by god, hurry up and buy your tickets for the stratford show! Daz, I, Mark and Simon will be there!
  • Sparkling Arrest: Because frankly there should be more people playing piano at these pride events. How about an early evening slot when the sun is just casting a gorgeous orange glow over events and everyone's a bit lethargic from the day's events? Sparkling Arrest's music is pensive, reflective and emotive all powered by some intricate piano (and i'm a sucker for an ethereal piano melody) and a haunting vocal. Check out the all too beautiful Skyman, one of the most lush tracks I've heard for a while. Those crashing chords juxtaposed with the guitar at 2m10 give me goosebumps everytime. Aces :)
  • Paloma Faith: Not only does she have the most brilliant popstar name that I've heard for ages and not only because she lit up the screen in St Trinians, but mainly because her jazz tinged single Stone Cold Sober is utterly addictive. A pop song that was created with real instruments, including horns is absolutely ok and brillopants in my book. (oh! check out the beautiful torch song sounding Broken Doll on her myspace. Deeee-licious)
  • Steve Appleton: Dirty Funk indeed was an eclectic mix of genres and a more than decent introduction to the fine young talents of the brilliantly coiffered Steve, but it's his new single City Won't Sleep that should launch him quite rightly into the stratosphere. A shuffling beat that just won't quit and some All Saints Pure Shores-esque instrumentation all frame Steve's impassioned vocal before exploding into a chorus where steve proclaims "I don't want to be any other place I don't want to take this night any other way". It's urgent yet still beautifully understated and has all the makings of a massive radio smash. Fingers crossed.
  • Julian Velard: Last but certainly not least are the quite talented fingers (ooer) and vocals of the engaging Mr Velard. Not only did he do a mean "gig" (ooo get me, all muso) on Broad Street in Birmingham last month but he peppers his youtube channel with cover versions of today's electronically engineered pop hits stripped back to just him and a piano. Hot n Cold and Sex on Fire particularly rock may I say (and i think I may!). Sounding just as brilliant as those are his songs like Feels Like Love Again For The First Time which totally draws you into Julian's lyrical world (like which dvds from HBO?! Sex and The City? Oz? Sopranos??) and again, brilliant piano that must have his fingers literally flying over the keyboard. It's a song that is designed to be played loud and one that makes me feel quite lovely inside and quite satisfied each time I hear it. Surely this man must be MASSIVE very soon. Please.
TOP 21 TRACKS OF THE WEEK:

21 ~ Simon Curtis/Victoria Justice, Things We Do For Love
20 ~ Alcazar, Stay The Night
19 ~ Kelly Clarkson, I Do Not Hook Up
18 ~ Infernal, Redefinition
17 ~ Jordin Sparks, Battlefield (NE)
16 ~ Lily Allen, Not Fair
15 ~ Pet Shop Boys, Did You See Me Coming?
14 ~ Industry, My Baby's Waiting
13 ~ The Killers, World We Live In (VID)
12 ~ Paolo Nutini, Candy
11 ~ Same Difference, All Roads Lead To Heaven
10 ~ Mans Zelmerlow, Hope & Glory
09 ~ BWO, Right Here Right Now
08 ~ Annie, Anthonio
07 ~ Take That, The Garden
06 ~ Alesha Dixon, I Get Excited
05 ~ Marina & The Diamonds, I Am Not A Robot
04 ~ Elouise, One Night Only
03 ~ Freemasons ft Sophie Ellis Bextor, Heartbreak Makes Me A Dancer
02 ~ Little Boots, New In Town
01 ~ "Abba", Second Best To None (2 weeks)

Off to Windsor this week for some r'n'r :) Maybe back mid week with a very special post. stay tuned! If not see you next Sunday :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

FREE HOT BODYPAINTING | HOT GIRL GALERRY