Sunday, May 17, 2009

I'm all cockahoop. After decorating the en-suite yesterday (i seriously despise decorating and it usually ends up in a massive argument between me and the big D; not this time though - surprisingly harmonious), Dazpainter and I had a nice stroll around town (despite the intermittent and vicious rain), and then watched Mega Shark vs Giant Octopus, starring my beloved Deborah Gibson!! D'luv emailed me saying he couldn't believe I hadn't blogged about it yet, so here it is - any chance to see Deb on screen is a-ok with me, and while this is merely a SeaQuest DSV episode (with approximately the same budget!) if you take it for what it is (a campy, 50s throwback done very tongue in cheek and not taking itself too seriously), you are in for 90 minutes of highly amusing brilliance. With clearly amazing lines like "you mean a prehistoric giant shark ate my whale", Deborah Gibson goes about saving the world as renegade shark bait Emma MacNeill (who incidentally drives a mini cooper, so clearly is feeling super dooper and is obviously a trooper) while the octopus wrestles with oil rigs and the definitely much cooler shark takes bites out the golden gate bridge and rather amazingly eats a plane. Through all of this Deborah/Emma not only manages to snog a bespectacled scientist, but also give Lorenzo Lamas some super withering looks :) What's not to like?! Only gripe was no bond-esque theme song at the end sung by Debs. Now lets get a sequel going - how about Super Squid vs Lovelorn Lobster?? On with the weeks essentials...

THE FIZZYPOP MUST LIST:


  • I totally miss writing about new music from Simon Curtis. Yes, I've been spoiled with an album I adore (Alter Boy) and of course his poptastic contributions to Spectacular (which I also found in HMV last week. Woo!) which showed off a different side to his vocal style. While I (im)patiently wait for new stuff, I'm more than happy to continue my love affair with Candy Coated Chaos who Simon and his producer Jadion introduced me too. Both are involved with CCC - their amazing new single is written by Simon and produced by Jadion. It absolutely spits out dance floor ready beats and a frenetic groove that builds up in such an intense way that by the time you get to the chorus, it explodes out your speakers. If that's not enough to convince you (and it should be) try the glorious Masquerade which is so radio ready, it stands head and shoulders above anything Britney has done lately. Make these songs hits by purchasing them now. Don't disappoint me :) (See also: Previous posts on CCC; Mel's blog)
  • Oh Industry! I see no shame at all in loving sunny pop songs like My Baby's Waiting by new Irish popgroup Industry. While Same Difference are off seeking success in Asia and Australia (their concert last week was mega - all of the album plus their version of When You Believe. And they are utterly adorable people - fizzypop SD page updated with more live vids!), I'm embracing the latest pop combo to hit - their debut single is perfect pop fare harking back to the glory days of Steps/All*Stars/SClub. It's string laden chorus and catchy hooks are custom made for people like me. And of course they are all ridiculously gorgeous and make me feel slightly prettier just watching them :P (See also: Previous post on Industry; D'luv's discovery; PosterGirl feels the love; Nikki approves!)
  • Lovely Samuel Taylor has put up his version of The Cardigan's epic song Communication up on his myspace. I absolutely adore this song and hearing it sung by Sam's soothing tones is an utter treat. It's very understated, beautifully elegant with Sam's vocal being the focal point of the chorus despite a crescendo of strings. It's enough to bring a tear to your eye, and nearly did when I was feeling melancholy and slightly drunk last week. Exquisite :) (See also: previous post on Sam)
  • Hurrah! Bonkers pop star Mika is back. And his new EP doesn't seem to have set the blogging community alight, but I actually quite like the introspective Mika sound. Blue Eyes is the perkiest (and most Jason Mraz-y meets Rusted Root) of the bunch, it's the sumptuous Toy Boy that I like best. As I stated last week, it's entirely Disney in it's execution but has some deliciously dark lyrics juxtaposed against the perky pop. I'm quite excited now for his second album later this year... (See also: If you are tired of waiting for Mika to return "proper", you might want to check out another bonkers popstar who could quite easily be the French Mika - Sliimy's Wake Up is not quite as immediate as you would hope but soon hooks into your brain with it's part brilliant pop song, part novelty chorus. Check out his version of Womaniser too!)
  • IDOL GOSSIP: Jordin Sparks new single (the quite good actually Battlefield) has to be the most overtwittered song of all time. I went from being bemused by it, to OBSESSED to what-is-the-fuss-about to actually quite liking it (though I've had to stop playing it for a while so i don't fall out of love from it's inevitable overexposure!). Overall, it's clearly the best idol single since 8th World Wonder. Meanwhile Blake Lewis not only looked extremely spaffleable on AI Extra but turned in a kickass version of Rihanna's Disturbia. (Check out PPG for album news). And JLS have premiered their debut single Beat Again (clearly not a song title Chris Brown should use!) - it's only ok, but they are so charming and adorable that I am allowing it to grow on me! (See also: Nikki's opinion; Ken's views!)
  • TV FINALES: I'm probably going to break my new once a week blogging habit already by doing a tv overview of the latest US season on Weds, but for now some very quick opinions on some of the most recent finales - Lost I thought was utterly epic. A bit barmy, but love the Man in Black and his connection to the island. Prison Break - as inconsistent and frustrating as ever, but overall a decent end to the show that had me sniffling ever so slightly. Thought Bro & Sis was nicely understated and set things up well for next year. Half way through Grey's Anatomy but they have totally turned it round from the near-unwatchable show it was for the first 3/4 of season 5...
  • While I am reading Henry: The Virtuous Prince by David Starkey (as I love the Tudor period and it's the 500th anniversary of his ascension to the throne), my latest literary obsession is the amazing Johnny Mackenzie by Keith Mansfield. It's described as Alex Rider meets Dr Who and so far is entirely brilliant. Hurrah!
  • FINALLY! Paolo Nutini was brillopants in concert earlier in the week. I nearly wept of course at his epic These Streets, but the new material sounds epic. Candy of course is already garnering hits at youtube but Pencil Full of Lead sounds like it was created in a test tube and engineered perfectly for summer festivals. Chorus is out of this world. Glorious :)
TOP 21 TRACKS OF THE WEEK:

Thanks to the utterly delightful, 60s influenced, delicious slice of perfect pop Since You've Been Gone being back on her myspace, Elouise has the highest new entry of my playlist this week. And fast becoming a pop obsession on par with Simon Curtis and Same Difference. Every track is a drop of heaven. Check out her full show at Stratford Circus on 20th June - backing band, full set, the works. A labour of love for a new artist. Can't. Wait.

21 - Neo, Flower Power Super Girl (Official video)
20 - Simon Curtis, Things We Do For Love (Movie video)
19 - Industry, My Baby's Waiting (NE/Official video)
18 - Kelly Clarkson, I Do Not Hook Up (GMA video)
17 - Pet Shop Boys, Did You See me Coming (Official video)
16 - Alcazar, Stay The Night (Melodifestivalen video)
15 - The Killers, World We Live In (Official video)
14 - Paolo Nutini, Candy (Official video)
13 - Lily Allen, Not Fair (Ant and Dec video)
12 - Infernal, Redefinition (Official video)
11 - BWO, Right Here Right Now (Live video)
10 - Same Difference, All Roads Lead To Heaven (Concert video - ace!)
09 - Mans Zelmerlow, Hope and Glory (Acoustic video)
08 - Alesha Dixon, I Get Excited (Feelgood Factor video)
07 - Annie, Anthonio (Static video)
06 - Take That, The Garden (Official video)
05 - Elouise, One Night Only (NE)
04 - Freemasons ft Sophie Ellis Bextor, Heartbreak Makes Me A Dancer (Official video)
03 - Marina & The Diamonds, I Am Not A Robot (Static video)
02 - Little Boots, New in Town (/Jools Holland video)
01 - "Abba", Second Best To None (1 Week)
Previous number ones: Marina - Robot (2 weeks); Mans Zelmerlow - Hope and Glory (4 weeks); BWO - You're Not Alone (4 weeks); PSB - Love Etc (1 week); Sugababes - Every Heart Broken (4 weeks); Simon Curtis/Victoria Justice - On The Wings of a Dream (4 weeks)
(Check out Mike Poptrash singles of the week with comments from respected and wonderful bloggers)

Midweek TV Season report! Then back next week with Bham Gay Pride update!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

FREE HOT BODYPAINTING | HOT GIRL GALERRY