Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Doing any sort of "best of" list is a bit of a nightmare really. It's objective and subjective! It's hard to set parameters - do I limit it to songs that only got released in 2009 (thereby perhaps missing out on acts that released songs last year, but I didn't discover til recently)? And how have songs stood the test of time - I might have loved them when they were released in January but be more enthusiastic about more recent songs because they are more fresh in my mind?! Good gravy. So ultimately, I've just done it. The top 21 songs that i have enjoyed most in the first half of 2009, regardless of when they were released :) And I guarantee that this will change dramatically by year end - not just because of 6 months worth of new songs, but also because I'll have a new perspective on how songs have stood the test of time throughout the year. So enjoy - and let me know if you agree or are thinking "no Lady Gaga? Are you a mentalloid?"...


TOP 21 SONGS I HAVE ENJOYED MOST IN 2009:

21 = Pussycat Dolls, J'Ai Ho/Hush Hush: Well i'm as bloody surprised as you are as I really don't care for PCD. But J'Ai Ho has the ace Slumdog Millionaire connection and Hush Hush is such a marvy disco epic, that I had to make an exception. Hell must be so cold right now...
20 ~ JLS, Beat Again: I just can't get bored with this song - it becomes more appealing and more-ish with every single listen. It really shouldn't work (using the medical metaphor of being heartbroken with lines like "i need you back in my arms/I need love CPR"!) but the charm of JLS oozes through and totally won me over. Hurrah, etc.
19 ~ The Days, No Ties: Explain to me again why this song wasn't massive? Possibly because it was released early in the year when anyone who listens can tell that actually it is a huge summer anthem just waiting to happen.
18 ~ Julian Velard, Love Again For The First Time: Rollicking piano riffs, witty lyrics and chorus harder to shake than swine flu. Plus I'm a sucker for songs about overcoming heartache and finding love again. He's like a more relevant Billy Joel and with better popstar hair. Ace.
17 ~ Erik Hassle, Hurtful: I suspect that this song will still be hovering around this point or higher by the year end. It's just lyrically poetic and instrumentally enticing. I've tried to hold off playing it too much because I suspect Erik is going to be mammoth by 2010...
16 ~ Pet Shop Boys, Love Etc: What a brillo comeback this turned out to be - and while the masses didn't really come running this song showed that Neil and Chris are just as culturally insightful today as they were 25 years ago. Now lets all chant "don't want to be/a big bucks hollywood star"...
15 ~ Jason Mraz, Try Try Try: I wrote about this already on Sunday. It's the optimism that shines through this melodic gem that makes it a real winner. Plus Jason Mraz really is the best sunshine singer this side of the Magic Numbers.
14 ~ Jordin Sparks, Battlefield: It's Ryan Tedder colour by numbers writing and production, but really the guy does it so well that it doesn't seem to matter. Great lyrics, epic chorus and a belting delivery from Jordin means this will be played long after summer is gone...
13 ~ Same Difference, All Roads Lead To Heaven: Industry have shown that pop can flourish and thrive in the era of 80s synth throwbacks, and this ignored classic from the bro-sis duo's debut album Pop was and is an unheralded Steps-esque pop masterpiece.
12 ~ Simon Curtis/Victoria Justice, On The Wings Of A Dream: Talking of pop masterpieces, what would Simon sound like if he went pure pop for a while? The answer is this great tween sing a long ditty from Spectacular. Simon's vocals have never been more clear showing the boy really can sing :)
11 ~ Elouise, One Night Only: Oh boy am I obsessed with this old song. I could have chosen any one of a number of versions but for me Elouise transports me into the song. Perhaps it's her spot on vocal delivery or her swinging sixties chick dance moves? Or maybe i'm just mesmerised by the glittery dresses she wears each time she performs it. Whatever, it's magic.

10 ~ BWO, You're Not Alone: Another BWO comeback single, another triumph. The group mix some gothic fairytale magic into the song which ultimately makes it perhaps their most ominous yet glorious sounding single to date. Worldwide domination has probably passed them by, but I will never forsake them :)
09 ~ Taylor Swift, Love Story: Even if the rest of the song was absolute crap (and i'm sure some people think that it is!), the key change and doe eyed romanticism of the line "marry me juliet you'll never have to be alone" gets me tingly every single time. Every. Single. Time :*)
08 ~ Mans Zelmerlow, Hope & Glory: There are many reasons why this works. Great hook. Fun production values. Oddly done but appreciated key change. Smooth and enthusiastic vocal delivery. All coming out of one of the most genetically perfect human beings to currently walk the planet. The defense rests...
07 ~ Little Boots, New In Town: It wasn't quite the mammoth debut single I'd hoped for but there was something entirely likeable about Victoria's first single proper. It was just quirky enough to stand out from the crowd and perhaps i liked it most because, like me, LB tried to cram far too many words (into the chorus) when fewer would have sufficed. I'm wordy. What can I say?!
06 ~ Lily Allen, The Fear: Lily transcends from perhaps one off album wonder to proper pop star with her lushly produced song about how life can be a bit crushing at times. Genius video with it to boot, and perhaps the most prophetic credit crunch lyrics this side of Shania's Ka-ching. Definitely a big "F*** You" very very much to the doubters :P
05 ~ Kelly Clarkson, My Life Would Suck Without You: It's just blooming euphoric pop genius. It may be Since You've Been Gone 2.0 but when you've got a chorus this giving and a vocal that powerful these trifling little matters seem not to make a jot of difference to the fun factor contained within :)
04 ~ Marina & The Diamonds, I Am Not A Robot: There's a delicate vulnerability about this pretty, ethereal, floating jewel of a tune that I am addicted to. It's been quite the year for robots in pop, and this is by far my favourite contribution. A bit out there, slightly bonkers and utterly utterly brilliant.
03 ~ Sugababes, Every Heart Broken: I often sit and ponder why this excellent tune was not a single. It's based around the most simple of melodies and the most simple of metaphors (one that works better than JLS, although theirs is more endearing). Definitely not the sort of song I could listen to just once and evidence that the 'babes still have it in them to create brilliant pop tunes 6 albums into their career.
02 ~ Benny Andersson Band, Story Of A Heart: Abba remain one of my most beloved pop acts of all time. I have yet to tire of their music. This is as close to a new Abba song as I will probably get. Exquisite lyrics, gorgeous arrangements, beautifully sung and ultimately a little bit devastating. The only minor thing wrong with it is that it isn't the lovely ladies singing. If I don't see them live on Saturday in London then I am an entire disgrace unto myself :(
01 ~ Hotel Rival, Second Best To None: It's not really a pop song per se, but one can see how it really could be. As it is written by the boys of Abba, it has brilliantly catchy chorus, bonkers lyrics and quite a nice love them within the verses. Production is probably about 20 years ago in sound but it's just all too charming and totally designed for me to fall in love with it. Adore the video too, especially the love affair between the only-looks-good-between-my-thighs sexy barman, the slutty blonde and the eye brow raising dwarf. I would die to see what someone like BWO, Industry or Simon Curtis would do to this song :)

JONAS BONUS MENTIONS:

Best "by the numbers" ballads (but beautifully executed): The Saturdays - Issues; Alesha Dixon - Breathe Slow

Best non-album comeback cover versions: No Doubt - Stand & Deliver; Scissor Sisters - Do The Strand; The Feeling - This Is Love; Taio Cruz - Everybody's Changing

Best squandered opportunity: The Saturdays - Just Can't Get Enough (It was totally fun and did it's job, but if it was all as brillo as the harmonised moment at 2m16 on this video, then it would have a lesson in astonishingosity)

Best old songs resurfacing: Heartbreak Makes Me A Dancer (SEB now with Freemasons from last June); The Show (Lenka from last June now slowly breaking the UK); F*** You (Lily Allen's demo from last June is now a European single and still delightful); Single Ladies (Beyonce tune that I didn't like last year but now love).

See you Thurs for the July Fizzypop Chronicles kicking off the second half of the year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

FREE HOT BODYPAINTING | HOT GIRL GALERRY