Thursday, November 16, 2006

Pop Potential: Jean


It's very hard to dislike Jean. Not Jean that I used to work with because she was a walking nightmare to manage and reminded me of Joan Ferguson from Cell Block H. Shudder. No I am talking phantasmagorical musical group Jean. Which when you think about it is a great name for a group. Better than George for a solo singer. But I digress. TheZapping loves Jean for many reasons - their myspace page gives us epileptic fits on a regular basis; they are friends with the lovely Switch22 and attend Scissor Sisters concerts together; they get to go to glamourous places like Jersey which is where Bergerac lives; it has Matthew in it from Bad Boys Inc so clearly reminds me of many furtive "under the duvet" moments from my teens. And of course Jean make great music also. Electric Legs starts as a sparse piece of electronica with a great vocal (particularly on the line "she was a lady, a supersonic beauty queen") before plunging head first into a killer of a chorus at about the 1min30 mark. Girls Aloud should whore themselves out for a chorus this creamy :) Spiralling proves they are no one trick pony - a hauntingly beautiful ballad that quite rightly focuses on Matthew's vocal, which carries the song. It's kind of Erasure-esque and that's a huge compliment from me. I thought Erasure did ballads (Always, Am I Right, You Surround Me) incredibly well... then it goes all Shakespear's Sister "Stay" in the middle and you are titillated and aroused musically all over again. Some say the electro-clash movement is tired and over, but Jean make it fresh and exciting all over again. I don't want to gush too much. I'm a natural gusher (once it went in Darren's eye and he felt blinded) so just head on over to their sites and check them out for yourself...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

FREE HOT BODYPAINTING | HOT GIRL GALERRY